Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / What cleaning fluid to use? Knosti

What cleaning fluid to use? Knosti
2018-07-17, 12:37
What cleaning fluid to use? Knosti
As above, I have a Knosti Disco Antistat record cleaning machine which cleans with solution and brushes and is generally well reviewed despite its low price

One complaint is the supplied solution is not very good, can leave residue

Lots of people make their own solution, any tips?!

Best Edward

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Revox PR-99 R2R * Linn Sondek LP12-Valhalla-Basik Plus-Adikt-Trampolin2 * Primare D20 CD * Revox B242 power * Rotel RB-850 Power amps (x2) * Rotel RQ-970 Phono * Marantz tuner * Sony 20ES Minidisc

1998 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (in case anyone likes old cars!)
www.isleofcarna.co.uk - rent a private island
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-17, 14:16
RE: What cleaning fluid to use? Knosti
30% Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to 70% distilled or deminalisted water (both lab grade)

Spot or 2 of a wetting agent such as that used in photographic developing or as I use dish washers.

Dries quickly with no residual. Wets the record well with no static left afterwards

Bio ethanol is also popular but make sure it’s from a good quality source

LP12, Keel, Urika, Radikal, Ekos, Krystal, KRDSM/2, Bryston4B cube, Briks
Find all posts by this user
2018-07-17, 16:45
(2018-07-17 14:16)shellspeed Wrote:  30% Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to 70% distilled or deminalisted water (both lab grade)

Spot or 2 of a wetting agent such as that used in photographic developing or as I use dish washers.

Dries quickly with no residual. Wets the record well with no static left afterwards

Bio ethanol is also popular but make sure it’s from a good quality source

Thank you for this, sorry I'm not very familiar where you get these chemicals from, please can you advise further?

Could you also enlarge on the wetting agent bit please?

Best Edward

Revox PR-99 R2R * Linn Sondek LP12-Valhalla-Basik Plus-Adikt-Trampolin2 * Primare D20 CD * Revox B242 power * Rotel RB-850 Power amps (x2) * Rotel RQ-970 Phono * Marantz tuner * Sony 20ES Minidisc

2018-07-17, 16:54
(2018-07-17 12:37)tedzwedz Wrote:  As above, I have a Knosti Disco Antistat record cleaning machine which cleans with solution and brushes and is generally well reviewed despite its low price

One complaint is the supplied solution is not very good, can leave residue

Lots of people make their own solution, any tips?!

Best Edward

Hi. It’s not a question of supplied solutions. Nothing is more important than the rinse cycle no matter what product you use.

Once washed in the Knosti and dried on the supplied rack, put them all though the system again but this time containing only distilled or deionised water and then dry by hand. You won’t believe the difference !
2018-07-17, 22:18
A good pharmacy or even Amazon or eBay for the IPA and demineralised water.

I use Finish rinse aid as a wetter.

Ilford wetting agents from a photography supplier or online.

LP12, Keel, Urika, Radikal, Ekos, Krystal, KRDSM/2, Bryston4B cube, Briks
2018-07-18, 14:56
(2018-07-17 22:18)shellspeed Wrote:  A good pharmacy or even Amazon or eBay for the IPA and demineralised water.

I use Finish rinse aid as a wetter.

Ilford wetting agents from a photography supplier or online.

Thank you guys! I will look it out!

2018-07-18, 15:09
You can get the VPI concentrate in an easily shipped small bottle ... if it would pass customs. It’s a good fluid.

Nitty Gritty still market fluid too.

Both the Nitty Gritty and VPI have very short exposure to very small amounts of the fluid in normal use. I have 30+ year old RCMs from both companies. Both are still fully supported. I use one near one system, and the other near the other system.

I’ve never noticed negative consequences of a residue. Are there credible studies that these brands leave a residue in proper use?

FWIW, Harry Weisfeld started a thread about record cleaning on vpiforum.com. It has been really popular, with some folks building their own ultrasonic machines.

The ultrasonics require longer exposure to the fluid. If you’re interested in record cleaning, and if you like DIY projects, you’ll have fun.

Harry is using his Cyclone RCM as the final step after his home built USM in order to rehabilitate the records he buys at thrift stores. He says there are some real gems out there if you’re willing to hunt them down and clean them.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...
2018-07-18, 15:49
I've ordered the separate fluids so lets see!

The knosti has a filer system so you can use the fluid again once you have filtered it back into the bottle to remove dirt

Would you recommend this with this home made fluid?

Best Edward

2018-07-18, 15:50
I have only ever used Nitty Gritty's fluid on my NG RCM & it does a fine job.
2018-07-18, 16:08
(2018-07-18 15:49)tedzwedz Wrote:  I've ordered the separate fluids so lets see!

The knosti has a filer system so you can use the fluid again once you have filtered it back into the bottle to remove dirt

Would you recommend this with this home made fluid?

Best Edward

The homebrew machines being discussed on vpiforum.com use heavy filtration and, I assume they recycle. But you can check them out for yourself.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...