Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / What’s better.

What’s better.
2018-07-17, 16:28
What’s better.
...... Kore with Ekos se or Keel with Ittok?

Stu.

Akurate LP12 (plus Radikal and Urika 2) - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-17, 16:54 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-17 19:02 by Cymbiosis.)
RE: What’s better.
Certainly the Keel with an Ittok will sound better (assuming you don't have one of the very early narrow pillar Ittoks?) Pretty much everyone here will agree with that but are you considering upgrading both your arm and sub-chassis in future?

If so, then you need to think about how you feel about the subject of drilling a hole in the Keel assuming you need one for the arm stay? If you have a later Ittok LVIII then great but they are rare!

Would an Ekos Se on a Keel with the hole capped bother you? If not, then great and the choice is easy but if you don't want this and you are considering both upgrades in the longer term then you could fly in the face of convention/hierarchy and for a while use an Ekos Se with a Kore with the knowledge that a Keel with your ittok would have sounded better but no unsightly hole in the longer term once you have an Ekos!

Food for thought.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-17, 19:16
Kudos to Peter, I would'nt have mind the hole!
2018-07-18, 08:44
Thanks guys.

Akurate LP12 (plus Radikal and Urika 2) - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
2018-07-18, 12:58
For several months earlier this year I ran an Ittok on a VPI HW19 Mk III.

I made the armboard and could easily have included a hole for the armrest. But the armrest was missing, so I didn’t bother.

Instead I took a 12AX7 tube damper (the metal cylindrical kind, not the rubber band kind), made a felt base for it, and used it as the arm rest. I could move this armrest off of the deck, giving a clean appearance. It went right back on when I needed it. This would not provide as much protection for the arm as a stock armrest if you were prone to manhandle things, but it worked quite well for my purposes. If a different height were needed, I could have cut it down, or made one out of some ebony I have here on hand.

FWIW, one of my LP12s has Kore and Ittok with stock armrest. The other has Keel and Ekos SE. They’re both excellent decks and present very believable music.

FWIW#2, the Ittok was a wonderful arm for the HW19 Mk III. That deck sounded great. Because the Ittok/Ekos family of arms are so easy to set up, and because the HW19 family is also extremely easy to set up, this combination offered the best SQ/aggravation ratio I’ve ever discovered.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...