Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Visit from Hidden Systems

Visit from Hidden Systems
2018-07-19, 22:51
Visit from Hidden Systems
Hi

Today had a visit from Chris Fuller from Hidden systems to upgrade my LP12 with a new sub-chassis, am and cartridge. Chris thought it would be better to do the upgrades at my home, which i though would be great, having the opportunity to see him at work on my LP12.

Before he started making any changes to the LP12 he went painstakingly through every aspect of my system setup to ensure the equipment currently in situ was setup at its optimal level, prior to implementing any changes to the turntable. Thoroughly refreshing to see this approach and professionalism given i had not purchased any of my current setup from him.

Once this was complete Chris started to upgrade the LP12, explaining each step taken along the way. I was having my Majik LP12 with Lingo 3 upgraded to have a Keel/Ekos SE and Krystal installed. Once completed and installed back into my system we sat down to listen to the new deck. i was gobsmacked at the improvement that i was hearing. Every aspect of the sound had changed, bass was fast, tight and dynamic. Soundstage had amazing depth and hight and instruments all clearly located within the soundstage and easy to follow. Voices had a human like character and the music just drew you in.

I would like to thank Chris for his attention to detail and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon seeing him at work. If anyone is contemplating their next upgrade and have not yet had an opportunity to visit Hidden Systems you will be pleasantly surprised with the level of service on offer. For those of you who have had Chris attend to their system needs i am sure you know exactly what i am talking about.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-19, 23:30
RE: Visit from Hidden Systems
Congrats on your new set up! I’m sure that the addition of the Keel/EkosSE/Krystal will bring you years of joy Big Grin

Just curious, I am really interested in knowing why you went this route instead of Lingo4/Radikal first (the Linn upgradable recommended way).

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Standard Aluminum Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + Akurate CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2X AV5125 + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2018-07-20, 06:52
(2018-07-19 23:30)kiko65 Wrote:  Congrats on your new set up! I’m sure that the addition of the Keel/EkosSE/Krystal will bring you years of joy Big Grin

Just curious, I am really interested in knowing why you went this route instead of Lingo4/Radikal first (the Linn upgradable recommended way).

It is not the recommended route to take but i was offered a Keel at a great price and picked it up, with my eventual goal to reach Klimax level spec. Chris at Hidden systems was happy to upgrade the deck with the Keel and suggested i add the Ekos SE at the same time with the Krystal. After a demo i was very happy taking this step know that there was more to come by changing the power supply and phono stage later.

This route also made the jump to Klimax spec more cost effective. I have to say that am looking forward to the addition of a Uphorik/Urika and Radikal as after a brief listen to a Uphorik, taking out my current Lehman phone stage, was amazing!! Will complete this upgrade sooner now i have heard it. sometimes the opportunity arises to go a different path to get to your eventual goal, but it is important to listen to the differences as some upgrades are better to some than others.
2018-07-20, 09:24
Totally agree!

There are offers one cannot refuse Big Grin

It’s also important to take the time to listen to the differences produced by the upgrades.

Thank you Wink

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Standard Aluminum Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + Akurate CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2X AV5125 + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2018-07-20, 12:38 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-20 12:39 by Hidden Systems.)
(2018-07-20 06:52)loogiefi Wrote:  
(2018-07-19 23:30)kiko65 Wrote:  Congrats on your new set up! I’m sure that the addition of the Keel/EkosSE/Krystal will bring you years of joy Big Grin

It is not the recommended route to take but i was offered a Keel at a great price and picked it up, with my eventual goal to reach Klimax level spec. Chris at Hidden systems was happy to upgrade the deck with the Keel and suggested i add the Ekos SE at the same time with the Krystal. After a demo i was very happy taking this step know that there was more to come by changing the power supply and phono stage later.

This route also made the jump to Klimax spec more cost effective. I have to say that am looking forward to the addition of a Uphorik/Urika and Radikal as after a brief listen to a Uphorik, taking out my current Lehman phone stage, was amazing!! Will complete this upgrade sooner now i have heard it. sometimes the opportunity arises to go a different path to get to your eventual goal, but it is important to listen to the differences as some upgrades are better to some than others.

Thank you for the post mention, much appreciated. Really enjoyed listening to your systems with 242's - a great speaker. LP12 was amazing with Uphorik - Lehman was OK on MM but buzzed on MC with power supply noises coming through. It's always been upgrade under the plinth but that arm / cartridge combo with Keel spun at a decent steady 33.33rpm was emotional and of massive interest compared to KDS2.

Great to get the DS working with KK properly - Conn 439 crossover cable not a RJ11 straight telephone cable folks.

I must point the Keel "at a great price" was not supplied us and I believe was bought from your friend in case other LINN dealers (x2) call LINN and moan, Chris remain upbeat and positive Tongue

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12690]

https://www.hiddensystems.co.uk/news

www.hiddensystems.co.uk
www.facebook.com/hiddensystems
www.twitter.com/hiddensystems
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-20, 14:39
Thanks for the nice story, which complements the account of my somewhat less ambitious LP12 build. And I agree with all you say about the Hidden Systems level of service.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-07-20, 15:09
(2018-07-20 12:38)Hidden Systems Wrote:  I must point the Keel "at a great price" was not supplied us and I believe was bought from your friend in case other LINN dealers (x2) call LINN and moan, Chris remain upbeat and positive Tongue

Really. Linn dealers ringing up Linn to complain when another dealer sells a Linn item at less than recommended price? Surely it’s up to the dealer if they take a smaller cut on an item to get a sale and keep a customer happy. I thought price fixing wasn’t allowed these days.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2018-07-20, 17:34
Chris Fuller sounds like my kind of dealer ~ the kind that deserves to prosper.
2018-07-20, 19:27 (This post was last modified: 2018-07-20 19:28 by Cymbiosis.)
(2018-07-20 17:34)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Chris Fuller sounds like my kind of dealer ~ the kind that deserves to prosper.

Indeed and absolutely Glyn. Very pragmatic approach which also sees me fit both new and pre-owned bits and bobs for clients who sometimes may have brought elsewhere as well.

Provided one can strike a sensible balance where they are not taking the Michael then why not.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
2018-07-21, 00:06
Peter
[/quote]

Thanks Peter. This flexibility has rewarded me tonight so seems topical, all good Smile

www.hiddensystems.co.uk
www.facebook.com/hiddensystems
www.twitter.com/hiddensystems