Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Kleos SL (with Urika II)

Kleos SL (with Urika II)
2018-07-24, 12:36
Kleos SL (with Urika II)
Having taken a punt on a new Kleos SL in exchange for my 4+ year old Kleos, my experience with Urika II has been overwhelmingly positive. Sounding unsurprisingly thin and flat straight out of the box, the SL is still improving after a week’s listening.

I’ve no doubt that the SL (0.25mv ouptut) is significantly better than the 0.5mv version, even allowing for my old Kleos being past its best. If this was the sound I was getting from a more expensive cartridge further up the Lyra hierarchy I would not be disappointed.

The SL has the same character as the Kleos, but with greater solidity, refinement and precision. I am finding a wide range of LPs simply more engaging and involving. I don’t think there is any loss of ‘energy and power’ (Lyra’s description of the possible trade-off with single against dual layer construction). Nor is there any penalty with the 0.25mv output in terms of signal-to-noise ratio (if anything I think I’m hearing even less background noise). IMO Lyra’s depiction of the sound as ‘extra pure and pristine’ is a little misleading, as the SL is also warmer and more beguiling, with deeper bass and sweeter treble.

After some experimentation, I’ve retained the distributor’s recommended settings for the Urika II (+64db Gain, 1 NF Capacitance, and 1k Ohms Resistance). The extra Gain (64db to compensate for lower output voltage) makes LP12 volume equivalent to other sources. Resistance at 1k Ohms sounds more dynamic than lower settings (as I understand it, the greater the Ohms, the less the loading, so at 1k Ohms the Kleos SL is virtually ‘wide open’ - with greater loading, the sound is a little smoother, and might be suited to very bright recordings, but also a touch compressed).

So very happy overall.

An A/B comparison between the Kleos SL and Kandid would be fascinating - though irrelevant now for my purposes Smile

LPs used in evaluation

Suzanne Vega, Solitude Standing
Tracy Chapman, Tracy Chapman
Kate Bush, Never Forever
Eleanor Friedberger, Rebound
The Doors, Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine
Jerry Garcia, Cats Under the Stars
Paul Simon, Graceland
John Martyn, Grace and Danger
John Martyn, Piece by Piece
Steely Dan, Aja
Steely Dan, Gaucho
The Christians, The Christians
Nils Lofgren, Cry Tough
Deacon Blue, Fellows and Hoodlums
Van Morrison, Moondance
Dave Cliff Quintet, The Right Time
Dave Brubeck Quartet, Time Out

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika II, Keel, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Kat Exakt Akubariks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-24, 15:55 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-04 10:56 by LD100.)
RE: Kleos SL (with Urika II)
Congratulations on your Kleos SL. Mine is just turning 3 years old and it's the best cartridge I've owned in 50 years.Smile

I set the resistance on my phono pre amp for 300 ohms, but then I have electrostatic speakers, a large listening room and obviously many other parts of my system are different from yours.
It's great that these parameters can be adjusted for the best sound.Wink

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-07-24, 21:53
Glad that you are enjoying the Kleos SL - mine is on order, and I did compare it to the Kandid but in an Aro Cool

Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982
2018-07-25, 12:42
(2018-07-24 21:53)Red Chris Wrote:  Glad that you are enjoying the Kleos SL - mine is on order, and I did compare it to the Kandid but in an Aro Cool

It's already excellent, but definitely still improving - with plenty more to come (the UK distributor said that '... the first 100 hours of run in are where you will notice the biggest improvements in the sound. The next 100 hours will show marginal improvements. Once the full 200 hours has passed no further improvements can be expected.') Smile

LP12 (Klimax Radikal/Urika II, Keel, Ekos SE, Lyra Kleos; TP Vulkan, Khan, TranQ, Skale); Klimax Exakt DSM, Kat Exakt Akubariks.