Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Sonos and LP12

Sonos and LP12
2018-08-02, 12:42
Sonos and LP12
After downsizing to a smaller place all my Hi Fi is in storage as we no longer have a spare room to use it. But...I am keen to get vinyl up and going again.

We currently use a Sonos play 1 and I am about to install a beam soundbar on the TV.

Either a Sonos connect or Sonos connect-amp can apparently link and use my old Pre amp (Arcam 110) to stream the Linn LP12 through the Sonos speakers.

My other half doesn't want to have my old Linn Kan speakers cluttering up the lounge (and various other old Hi Fi stuff e.g. Arcam 120 power amp, radio tuner and CD player) and so the Sonos Connect is the simplest solution but I may opt for the Connect-Amp in case we change our mind later about the Kans getting involved!

Soooo I am wondering if anyone here has heard such a streaming setup with a LINN and how good/bad it would be compared to my old Hi Fi setup?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-03, 00:55 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-03 06:55 by Wat.)
RE: Sonos and LP12
I have never tried it but my Sonos Connect has analogue inputs & I could put the cables from my Urika phono stage into it & stream to another Sonos device. I doubt I’d ever do this as sound quality from Sonos is not commensurate with playing LP12 through a decent amp & speakers. Plus if LP12 were in a different room then I’d need to put on a record & run to lounge to hear it. I found analogue & digital out from the Sonos Connect to be nothing special. TBH in your position I’d digitalise my vinyl or buy my favourites on CD.

Of course what sounds best is opinion, but I found £199 Arcam Solo Soundbar was much nicer than the more expensive Sonos soundbar. You could add a £199 Sony X700 Universal Transport for streaming & playing virtually any disc format going. Also remember there is no high resolution with Sonos.

Sorry not very helpful, but I think you may be disappointed with Sonos compared with what you are used to. A clutter free system like Linn Kiko would be worth an audition - it’s superb in sound & looks.

JR-MC24->Blu2-DAVE & K-LP12SE wired with Linn Silvers into KK/1D+KCT through SD9s
MDSM3 through MG12s
2018-08-07, 18:53
Hi Green lantern and thanks for your input.

I popped into a local Hi Fi shop in Brighton and, assuming I do not wish to reuse all of my HiFi system any longer, they recommended :-

Option one:-
Sell my Linn Kans
Sell my Arcam 110/120 Pre/Amp/Arcam CD Player/Creek Tuner
Sell my LP12 Valhalla/Itok

Replacing the Linn Turntable with a Rega Plus 1 with on its on board phono.
Buy a Sonos Connect to get the output through Sonos Speakers
Pocket the difference in value! Big Grin

This would get me listening to my Vinyl records again in my lounge without any speaker cabling, which is the bottom line of what I want to achieve, and not attempt to gain the purest HiFi sound in the world.

Option Two:
Connect my LP12 to Sonos Connect via an external basic Phono for about £50 (or buy a nicer Rega version for a bit more) to get a simple line in signal capability, controlling volume via the Sonos App.

He did not think this option would, in any way, get the best out of the Linn but I may go down this route anyway. After all, the Linn, is hardly likely to make it sound any worse, although the fact that the phono is built in on the Rega may give it an advantage on any hum/noise issues?
Ideally i would like to hear it demo'ed before deciding on the best possible outcome. I might pop back in and ask the shop if they would be prepared to do that for what may be a small sale on their part?

any other options/views????
2018-08-07, 19:09
Swapping LP12 for a different TT doesn‘t make too much sense for me. Keep it or sell it...
Who knows, in a couple of years you might move again to a larger place...
Actually I‘d get more into streaming, invest into a Qobuz subscription and sell all stuff I don‘t need or want.
Digitize the vinyl Qobuz don‘t have with Songcorder and you should be all set with a minimal footprint system.
BY
2018-08-08, 05:03 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-08 13:31 by kiko65.)
RE: Sonos an
(2018-08-07 18:53)gadge Wrote:  Hi Green lantern and thanks for your input.

I popped into a local Hi Fi shop in Brighton and, assuming I do not wish to reuse all of my HiFi system any longer, they recommended :-

Option one:-
Sell my Linn Kans
Sell my Arcam 110/120 Pre/Amp/Arcam CD Player/Creek Tuner
Sell my LP12 Valhalla/Itok

Replacing the Linn Turntable with a Rega Plus 1 with its on board phono.
Buy a Sonos Connect to get the output through Sonos Speakers
Pocket the difference in value! :D

This would get me listening to my Vinyl records again in my lounge without any speaker cabling, which is the bottom line of what I want to achieve, and not attempt to gain the purest HiFi sound in the world.

Option Two:
Connect my LP12 to Sonos Connect via an external basic Phono for about £50 (or buy a nicer Rega version for a bit more) to get a simple line in signal capability, controlling volume via the Sonos App.

He did not think this option would, in any way, get the best out of the Linn but I may go down this route anyway. After all, the Linn, is hardly likely to make it sound any worse, although the fact that the phono is built in on the Rega may give it an advantage on any hum/noise issues?
Ideally i would like to hear it demo'ed before deciding on the best possible outcome. I might pop back in and ask the shop if they would be prepared to do that for what may be a small sale on their part?

any other options/views????

To each their own,
“Replacing the Linn Turntable with a Rega Plus 1 with on its on board phono.”

Not my business but please don’t. Do a little research and you will find out why in a second. Not only the LP12 is miles better but, the on board phono will limit you to, well, one lousy phono pre.

Keep the LP12, sell everything else, buy a Kiko! Your wife and YOU will be happy :D

AHHHHHH!!!!!!

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Standard Aluminum Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + Akurate CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2X AV5125 + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2018-08-08, 08:12
I've been a Sonos and Linn user for many years. Current I use a connect box feeding optically into a Linn DS to give sonos capability and casual listening around the house. So for you, a Sonos connect would allow you in future to add sonos capability to your existing Linn set up using its RCA output connectors or Optical.

The connect box also has a RCA input so no reason why your couldn't add a phono preamp and LP12 to that and choose the sonos 'line in' house for your source across the Sonos speakers around the house.

The connect amp has the same rca inputs but doesn't have the RCA output option so can only drive speakers not feed a pre-amp.

So Option 2 IMHO

LP12, Kore, Cirkus, Akito, Goldring 2100. KDSM, Solos/D, 242s/2
QNAP TS269, SONOS boxes around the house.
2018-08-10, 00:43
Been giving a bit more thought to this and have come up with a cunning wheeze!

I don't have a garage in the new place and am planning to fully board out the loft and put in a ladder for easy access and additional storage purposes. I will need electric there for lighting etc anyway soooooo.....

....I have decided to use it as a Man Cave too, where I can install my HiFi and store all my vinyl and CDs. I can then retire there whenever I feel the need to listen to it in peace Smile

I will not bother to connect to the Sonos after all as it will be too much of a faff changing records anyway.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a comfy chair up there Sad
2018-08-10, 10:09
(2018-08-10 00:43)gadge Wrote:  Now I just need to figure out how to get a comfy chair up there Sad

By something from the likes of IKEA and build it up there.

Related story. When our neighbours moved in, they found a lone wing back chair in the their loft. Absolutely no idea how it could have got up there as the loft access was tiny and they had to cut it up to remove it!

‘troll
2018-08-12, 22:25 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 22:27 by gadge.)
<By something from the likes of IKEA and build it up there.>
Hmmm good idea!

Not sure how the Linn Kans will sound though.
I have always had a wall to put them against before and they do normally require that I believe.

There won't be any walls up there.
Any bright ideas? That do not involve me building a brick wall up there :-)