Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Upgrade 1982 lp12

Upgrade 1982 lp12
2018-08-02, 13:41
Upgrade 1982 lp12
Hi everyone,i have owned my deck since new 1982 and other than recent service and Valhalla rebuild it has never been upgraded as i like it's current sound(that's why I purchased it)
As a new to this forum I have read a lot about what a difference the curkus bearing makes and am wondering should I do this?
I really don't want to change the fundamental sound just maybe gain a bit more detail?
The rest of system is very basic compared to what I've seen on this site,and I just wonder if there is a gain to be made?
Rest of system=
Roksan kandy mk111,dynaudio audiance 60s,at95 paratrace,basik lvx arm.
Would greatly appreciate your views,as I think it might be quite hard to find a similar deck to do any comparison.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-02, 13:57 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-02 14:00 by charlie1.)
RE: Upgrade 1982 lp12
The Cirkus will change the character somewhat so probably best to leave it as it is, provided your bearing isn't worn/damaged.

My guess is that an arm upgrade would achieve the result you're looking for. If you could find a good quality Ittok then that would also help keep it period looking.
2018-08-02, 14:05
(2018-08-02 13:57)charlie1 Wrote:  The Cirkus will change the character somewhat so probably best to leave it as it is, provided your bearing isn't worn/damaged.
I would tend to agree. The Cirkus upgrade won't necessarily bring more 'detail' with it, and I agree it will change the sound character of the deck.
If you're happy with it, I would leave it as it is.

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
2018-08-02, 14:07
A couple of thing to be careful of:

1. It’s going to be difficult to A/B demo a comparison deck so following rebuild after fitted your going to have to have a fairly good memory of what your deck sounded like. Ask the dealer to do a before and after on the same system.

2. It’s not just the bearing! You need an inner platter. You will probably need a later sub chassis even if it’s another steel one. (Dealer May have one from an upgraded deck they can do you secondhand).

3. Be prepared to buy an outer platter as well. It’s been know that some platters won’t fit the new inners.

4. It’s a full strip down of the suspension so will be a couple of hours. If you don’t like it and want your old bearing put back, your going to get a labour bill for their trouble!

If the bearing is in good nick then you may find a Tranquility better bang for buck. These can easily be demonstrated on the deck

LP12, Keel, Urika, Radikal, Ekos, Krystal, KRDSM/2, Bryston4B cube, Briks
2018-08-02, 14:09 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-02 15:13 by DavidHB.)
You'll see two points of similarity between my system and yours (though your Kandy is presumably the amplifier whereas mine is the CD player), which I hope suggests that we are on much the same page when it comes to what we like.

The bottom line here is that, if it works for you, you should not try to fix it. You have what looks to me like a well-balanced system which you could not take fully to the next level except at considerable cost. As your LP12 has had a recent service, you may want to get the full value from that before having your dealer put the deck on his jig again. But when the time comes for another service, I agree that the Cirkus (with its replacement sub-chassis) is probably the next sensible upgrade.

I say 'probably' because your ears must decide what is best for you; there is simply no substitute for listening for oneself. This is where a dealer with several decks of different levels of cost and performance can be a great help. I took my deck (not an LP12, but it's the same principle) in to my dealer and compared it with several other decks before deciding on the specification of the LP12 I now have. There will no doubt be siren voices extolling the merits of the Lingo, Kore, Akito and Adikt, or suggesting that you replace your amp or speakers. There is of course a case for all these changes, but if you are happy with what you have you just don't need to go there.

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-08-02, 14:25
As stated by Charlie1, there will be some change in sound with the Cirkus bearing system. My LP12 was purchased new, but just before the Cirkus bearing system was available as an option. However, the Linn dealer contacted me immediately and suggested that I listen to the new Cirkus bearing system. After listening to their shop decks with and without the Cirkus upgrade, I decided it sounded better than the original bearing system. And needless to say, I had the Cirkus installed on my deck. In addition, my dealer said if I didn't like the Cirkus kit after it was installed, he would put the original bearing back into my deck.

To my ears, the timing, bass notes and vocals improved with the Cirkus bearing, and the music just sounded more realistic. But there are people that feel the same way about the original bearing system. I'm not sure how possible it would be for you to schedule a listen at your Linn dealer...?

Sondek built by Thomas at Overture Audio; with Chris Harban Movingui plinth, Cirkus, Keel, Khan, Radikal(D), Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, and NOKTable stand.
2018-08-02, 18:22
Thanks for all your input ,charlie1,shellspeedand,tony tune age and Kelly' and David HBO,by the way I also have kandy cd and have to say it's the best I've heard on my budget.never felt he need to improve but sometimes reading here i feel maybe I've got my head in the sand!
I listen to yours is no disgrace,yes album bought a little later and wonder is there more?
2018-08-02, 19:14
(2018-08-02 18:22)Ordinary man Wrote:  I also have kandy cd and have to say it's the best I've heard on my budget.never felt he need to improve but sometimes reading here i feel maybe I've got my head in the sand!

There is no law that says you have to follow the crowd; actually hi-res streaming (if that is what you are referring to) is something of a minority interest in any case. One good thing about this forum is the general (and respectful) recognition that individual priorities do vary.

My Roksan CD has served me well, but, as all my CDS are ripped, I don't use it very much these days. One good point about it in my system is that it has a very good transport (the same one as in the more expensive Kaspian), so that, connected digitally to my DSM, it performs pretty well. Not as well as the streamer, of course, but well enough to give a good account of itself with the occasional 'visiting' CD. All in all, the Roksan has been a much better buy than the Linn Mimik that preceded it.

Back to the LP12. I think you have two choices. The first is to set your face against upgrades and just enjoy what you have; your system is one that many people would be happy with. The second option is to give way to your curiosity and do some listening, ideally with the help of your dealer. Remember that it is possible to hear something that sounds better than what you have and then to go home and decide that you can happily go on living with your existing system. I did that for over 20 years, and then I got into streaming and the Linn way of doing things ...

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-08-02, 20:46
(2018-08-02 19:14)DavidHB Wrote:  I think you have two choices. The first is to set your face against upgrades and just enjoy what you have; your system is one that many people would be happy with. The second option is to give way to your curiosity and do some listening, ideally with the help of your dealer. Remember that it is possible to hear something that sounds better than what you have and then to go home and decide that you can happily go on living with your existing system. I did that for over 20 years, and then I got into streaming and the Linn way of doing things ...

David
I think this is great advice David.
I think we all get ‘caught up’ with the notion of upgrading at times, and sometimes forget that it’s about the music first and foremost, and the kit second.
I too think a good dealer would be the place to explore your options, but I would advise to think hard whether it is worth the expenditure. As David has already said, your system seems well balanced, and probably sounds great just as it is Big Grin

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
2018-08-02, 23:15
Thanks for all your input, maybe I'll just keep listening and stop worrying if it could be better,so far I'm always happy when I listen .
nevertheless when I look here at people's system's I can't help but wonder what I'm missing!