Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Ekos SE Rewire or Resolder?

Ekos SE Rewire or Resolder?
2018-08-04, 03:20 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-04 03:24 by Jeff R.)
Ekos SE Rewire or Resolder?
It's been awhile since I've been on the site. I have Klimax LP12 setup with an Ekos SE well out of warranty. I tune my own deck and did something excessively stupid. Long story short, I was taking off the tonearm and the Urika connection was really sticky. Like a fool, I loosened the allen to the DIN, thinking it was like the older tonearm cables, (been awhile since I tinkered with it and was confusing it to the older allen screw dug into the T-Cable). Guess what, I pulled out the female tone arm PIN! After several explitives, and berating myself, I calmed down. We'll it either has to be resoldered or perhaps I should consider a complete rewire. Any thoughts? No commenting on my poor decision making, I've already done plenty of that Wink My only worry with a rewire is if that might affect a future upgrade to a Urika II (e.g. maybe the wiring may be bright and cause issues with protocol), which incidentally I will hopefully purchase sooner than later. So back to Linn via RA for a resolder or something more adventurous? Jeff

KDSM/1, KLP12, Exakt/k Dorik Stands, Exaktbox Sub, 212s v.1, 221, Audience AR6
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-04, 04:19
RE: Ekos SE Rewire or Resolder?
My sincerest condolences...
personally I would let the lads at Linn repair and check for any other damage you may have possibly done.
Then you can sleep easy.Smile

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
2018-08-04, 13:25
(2018-08-04 04:19)LD100 Wrote:  My sincerest condolences...
personally I would let the lads at Linn repair and check for any other damage you may have possibly done.
Then you can sleep easy.Smile

+1

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...
2018-08-04, 14:17
Actually after sleeping on it, that’s the only choice given it’s an expensive toy. Good advice. I’ll pony up for a LINN RA and have it done right. Thx. Jeff

2018-08-04, 17:45
Yep, definitely back to Linn is your best bet. By the way, your mistake was not in loosening the allen head screw, it was in loosening the WRONG allen screw! The one that holds the Urika or tonearm plug is near the bottom and facing straight front. The one that holds in the male DIN plug is higher up and more on the side. Hopefully not too expensive a lesson.

LP12SE Movingui • KRadikal • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • KRDS • Lejonklou Sagatun Monos & Tundra Mono 2As • JBL 3677s & 4645C Sub • NOKTable • Harmoni Mimer/Tor Racks
AV: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol • 2 LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • 2 DQ1W

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s since 1978!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-08-04, 20:32
In the neighborhood of a $700 mistake. One I shall not forget soon!

2018-08-05, 23:26
How does one go about getting Linn turntable components repaired by Linn if you live in the US? No dealers in my state for years now.

Keith
LP12, Hercules, Ekos, Argo i, HDX, NAC252, SC, NAP250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, HL-P3ESR
Exiled in the USA!
2018-08-05, 23:29
(2018-08-05 23:26)sktn77a Wrote:  How does one go about getting Linn turntable components repaired by Linn if you live in the US? No dealers in my state for years now.

What State? I live in Florida and I have outstanding Linn service with David Mingace.

86LP12 + 2015 Cirkus + Lingo2 + 2015 Standard Aluminum Sub-chassis/arm-board + Ittok LVII + 2017 Soundsmith rebuilt Troika + T-Kable + Tramp2 + Linto + Akurate CD + AV5103/AV5105 + 2X AV5125 + 2X Ninka + Trikan + 2X Komponent 104 + Sizmik10.25 + Silvers + Blacks + K400s + K20s
2018-08-06, 02:06
(2018-08-05 23:29)kiko65 Wrote:  
(2018-08-05 23:26)sktn77a Wrote:  How does one go about getting Linn turntable components repaired by Linn if you live in the US? No dealers in my state for years now.

What State? I live in Florida and I have outstanding Linn service with David Mingace.

Sorry, North Carolina.

Keith
LP12, Hercules, Ekos, Argo i, HDX, NAC252, SC, NAP250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, HL-P3ESR
Exiled in the USA!
2018-08-06, 02:25 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-06 02:35 by Jeff R.)
So, here's how I understand the process. You will have to find some dealer to work with and have them request service from Linn. Linn has a technician stateside (in upstate NY, I think... can't think of his name, nice guy) but some repairs get sent back to Scotland just like upgrades. What you have to do is phone a Linn dealer, request an RA (Return Authorization), and arrange to send the damaged item to that dealer IF they are not close. There was no dealer in Chicago for YEARS! The RA requires you pay the dealer a flat service rate determined by Linn. Keep in mind some older items they no longer service; I think CD players are one of those items. Again, the RA is a fixed price for the dealer to send the item off for repair regardless of what's involved in that repair. I believe it includes shipping back and forth from the dealer. So for my Ekos, it could include whatever they find wrong in the item... I suppose even bearings. Does that make sense? I've done this a few times... I blew up an amp and an old CD players laser burned out (each time, I shipped them to a dealer for service who inturn shipped them to Linn). It can be pricey, it just depends... call a couple of dealers out of state and I bet someone will help. Jeff