Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Bearing oil grade

Bearing oil grade
2018-08-05, 15:52
Bearing oil grade
Hurrah! I have made my Sondek sound better. I researched thoughrougly how to balance and set the tracking force on the tone arm I have got the arm at the right height (all my own fault) and now it sounds sweeter than it ever has. The Cart may have run in too which also helps. Anyway I digress. I watched an interesting vid the other day where a bloke was changing the oil in the bearing. He recommended 5w-30 or 0w-30 fully synthetic oil. He aslo claimed many people will buy $6 worth of oil and decant it into a 10ml bottle and sell it online for bearings thus making over $100 from a bottle. Firstly is this the oil grade to use and if so is this true?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-05, 16:07 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-05 16:33 by Glyn Ruck.)
RE: Bearing oil grade
Congratulation on improving the LP12

All sorts of things go on out there. We are told that the Linn oil is Mobil Velocite Oil No.6 ~ an ISO VG 10 grade Spindle Oil with the addition of MOS2. The %age MOS2 unknown.

Thorens have always used an ISO VG46 Turbine oil. I know because we supplied it.

In this application a synthetic has little benefit over a mineral. The oilco's have zero interest in selling these nuisance quantities of industrial oil. Suggest you just buy the Linn Black oil from a dealer (as long as you don't have the gold/white bearing in which case the oil sans MOS2 is required)

Comparative viscosity grades.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12743]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

2018-08-05, 16:11 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-05 16:12 by john and Jake the dog.)
(2018-08-05 15:52)drawboy Wrote:  Hurrah! I have made my Sondek sound better. I researched thoughrougly how to balance and set the tracking force on the tone arm I have got the arm at the right height (all my own fault) and now it sounds sweeter than it ever has. The Cart may have run in too which also helps. Anyway I digress. I watched an interesting vid the other day where a bloke was changing the oil in the bearing. He recommended 5w-30 or 0w-30 fully synthetic oil. He aslo claimed many people will buy $6 worth of oil and decant it into a 10ml bottle and sell it online for bearings thus making over $100 from a bottle. Firstly is this the oil grade to use and if so is this true?

Please also remember that the oil is dependent on the type of bearing, Early or Cirkus

Fluted Lp12, Valhalla, Cirkus, Trampolin, Michell Techno A, Goldring 2100. Elliot Sounds Phono pre. Marantz cd6006. Moth passive pre-amp. 3 x LK100. Active Kabers, (Scanspeak D2008 tweeters). DIY Ikea coffee table rack.
2018-08-05, 16:35 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-05 16:40 by Glyn Ruck.)
(2018-08-05 16:11)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Please also remember that the oil is dependent on the type of bearing, Early or Cirkus

See above quote "(as long as you don't have the gold/white bearing in which case the oil sans MOS2 is required)"

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12744]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)