Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Acrylic mats

Acrylic mats
2018-08-08, 15:43
Acrylic mats
Hi, I've not long ago aquired an LP12 and was wandering if anyone has ever tried an acrylic mat and record clamp/weight?
The reason I ask is that I did so with a TD160 and it improved the bass and lower midrange a lot. However, I'm more sceptical with the Sondek as I think the sub-chassis center of gravity and suspension set-up will be much more critical of the change.
This is in a sense a cheap fix, as I don't currently have the funds for a sub-chassis and armboard upgrade.

Cheers, Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-08, 16:04 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-08 22:11 by Briain.)
RE: Acrylic mats
(2018-08-08 15:43)mark.lennon@hotmail.co.uk Wrote:  Hi, I've not long ago aquired an LP12 and was wandering if anyone has ever tried an acrylic mat and record clamp/weight?
The reason I ask is that I did so with a TD160 and it improved the bass and lower midrange a lot. However, I'm more sceptical with the Sondek as I think the sub-chassis center of gravity and suspension set-up will be much more critical of the change.
This is in a sense a cheap fix, as I don't currently have the funds for a sub-chassis and armboard upgrade.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark and a very, very warm welcome to the Linn forum!!

I've not used my LP12 for many years (though one day I'll set it back up) but back in the days when I did, I once tried a hard mat and clamp, but to me, it 'drained' all the life from the music (put felt mat back and the feet started tapping again; a sure sign that something about it was very wrong). Of course, many new products have appeared since then, so maybe someone else can give you a better answer (based on more current kit) but I've a very strong suspicion that the results will be much the same.

The other thing I like about the felt mat is that you don't have to stop the TT whenever you need to change the album (I really couldn't be bothered stopping it and undoing a clamp, etc) and the thing that would concern me about clamping an album to a hard surface would be the risk of forcing of any 'alien objects' into the grooves, so all in all, I think the felt mat is also the most practical solution.

Bri Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-08-08, 16:24 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-08 16:26 by Tony Tune-age.)
Hello and welcome to the Linn forums Mark,

Since owning my LP12, I've had several talks with my Linn dealers about possibly using different mats for the Sondek. And they all suggested I stay with the Linn felt mat. As it turns out, there are many ways that aftermarket mats can have a negative impact on the sound.

Since you don't have the funds for an arm-board upgrade, or a new sub-chasse, you could purchase a new Linn felt mat. It would likely sound better than your current felt mat. Also, you could "clock your inner and outer platter" which will improve the sound as well. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that goes into great detail about "clocking the platters." This would be two inexpensive ways to upgrade your LP12.

Just food for thought,
Cheers

Sondek built by Thomas at Overture Audio; with Chris Harban Movingui plinth, Cirkus, Keel, Khan, Radikal(D), Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, and NOKTable stand.
2018-08-08, 16:45 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-08 16:46 by Baba Yaga.)
Not to mention the correct side up...Big Grin
2018-08-09, 06:53
Another voter for sticking with the stock mat, even though it looks like it could be bettered. I've tried cork (1.5mm and 2mm) and a rubber mat and in every case some of the life was removed from the replay.

I had a TD160S (c.1987 model) which came with a thick grooved rubber mat which was a tad convex (IIRC) and I changed this with pleasing results. But with a Linn no.

As others here highlight, there are the usual 'gains' to be had from 'siding' the mat etc.

There may be other things to try/experiment with - e.g. what base does it have, what does it sit on (wall-shelf/sideboard/rack), where cheap gains can sometimes be made.
2018-08-09, 17:47
+1 to what Briain said above. Most other materials tend to drain the music of dynamics and I too like the fact that the felt mat allows you to change a record without stopping the platter - just make sure that if the mat sticks a bit to the record and then drops off it doesn't get whirled into the cartridge! (sliding the record label slightly over the spindle when removing the record tends to ensure the mat stays on the platter).
2018-08-09, 18:33
(2018-08-08 16:45)Baba Yaga Wrote:  Not to mention the correct side up...Big Grin

Good point Baba Yaga Cool. There is another thread on this forum regarding the proper placement of a Linn felt mat.

Cheers

Sondek built by Thomas at Overture Audio; with Chris Harban Movingui plinth, Cirkus, Keel, Khan, Radikal(D), Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, and NOKTable stand.
2018-08-10, 18:04
Hi

The LP12 is not designed for a record clamp / weight as it will mess up the suspension

I tried an Acrylic Mat once, worse thing ever. You would think that it would make an improvement, but no. all it did was flatten and kill the music

As has been previously suggested, get a new Linn felt mat, find the best side and play on
2018-08-13, 18:02
Yes is my answer and its in a cardboard box somewhere. I did find it really good on a Rega but not so on my LP12.

Majik DS, Inneos CD ripper, Simon Price Oak LP12, Black Ittok, Lingo3, Circus, Tranquility, Dynavector 20X2L, Lehman black signature phono, Exotik pre amp, x4 LK100 power amps, Keltic Aktiv speakers, Ikea rack, Cadenzas on phono, Cadenzas and Linn silvers connect the 6 amps, Chord Odyssey II.
2018-08-13, 22:09
Thanks all for your replies. It seems fairly conclusive that the Sondek is not to be messed with - least not in this way anyway.
As of last Saturday I have a more immediate problem with the Sondek now as it has lost all speed stability - wavering between 31 to 32.5 rpm. Don't know if it's the motor or the power supply board. Had to re-engage the td160 for now. Bugger! ?