Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / when fitting a keel

when fitting a keel
2018-08-09, 12:31
when fitting a keel
Is it possible that when you fit a keel(from a standard subchassis) in an LP12 with an ekos2-arm an a lingo1 PS and a ridiculous good cartridge(van den Hul colibri(xcp)) that you not only hear more detail in sound but also the disadvantages of the ac-motor etc. Because i hear more rumble and surface-noise. My point is with the keel fitted the music is much more engaging but there are also little disadvantages when(i think) you don't fit a radikal at the same time. Maybe someone else also experienced this?

Thanks,

Theo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-09, 12:57
RE: when fitting a keel
Maybe that’s why Radikal is first in the recommended upgrade path.

Of course it is assumed you have a proper Cirkus kit, proper lube, proper pistonic bounce, proper cartridge alignment etc, ad nauseam.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...
2018-08-09, 13:08
I cannot confirm your impressions of more rumble and surface-noise after installing the Keel (I had a Lingo 1 when I did it). I would rather say, that I heard less of it. Something else must be wrong...

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-08-09, 13:21
(2018-08-09 12:57)Peer Gynt Wrote:  Maybe that’s why Radikal is first in the recommended upgrade path.

Of course it is assumed you have a proper Cirkus kit, proper lube, proper pistonic bounce, proper cartridge alignment etc, ad nauseam.

Yes everything is more or less the same(including cirkus) as before fitting.
2018-08-09, 13:27 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-09 13:28 by smokestack.)
In addition to all the mentioned set up factors...

....Does your top plate still mate correctly, rattle free, all around the plinth since you bolted it back up ?

If you had over tightened & compromised the fit of the top plate , the increased noise you mention would be one common symptom.

Just a long shot amongst many possibilities. ;^)
2018-08-09, 13:34
Not sure if it's the motor, or the Lingo, a quick search of rumble related articles suggests frequencies below 100Hz. The motor revolves at 250 rpm? Most articles relate rumble to the main bearing, but some records exhibit vinyl roar, so could it be that?
Surface noise, have the arm and cartridge gone back in exactly the same alignment, same tracking weight?
My experience of Kore and Lingo 4 is of much reduced background noise.
2018-08-09, 19:51
(2018-08-09 12:31)TheoG Wrote:  Is it possible that when you fit a keel(from a standard subchassis) in an LP12 with an ekos2-arm an a lingo1 PS and a ridiculous good cartridge(van den Hul colibri(xcp)) that you not only hear more detail in sound but also the disadvantages of the ac-motor etc. Because i hear more rumble and surface-noise. My point is with the keel fitted the music is much more engaging but there are also little disadvantages when(i think) you don't fit a radikal at the same time. Maybe someone else also experienced this?

Thanks,

Theo
No. Not more surface noise or rumble. Only more good things. With the Keel you can hear your LP12 give a very precise stereo image for the first time.

'84 fluted-Afro LP 12, Ekos, Keel, Lingo 1, Dynavector xx2, Naim 82 with Supercap, Naim Headline with HiCap, Sennheiser 650 'phones', Naim 180, Linn Tukans, Naim CD 3.
2018-08-09, 19:55
Nah! LP12's have always given a superb stereo image & soundstage with a decent cartridge.
2018-08-09, 20:01
(2018-08-09 19:55)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  Nah! LP12's have always given a superb stereo image & soundstage with a decent cartridge.

Agreed Cool. Although in my opinion, the Keel does provide even more stereo image and soundstage.

Sondek built by Thomas at Overture Audio; with Chris Harban Movingui plinth, Cirkus, Keel, Khan, Radikal(D), Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, and NOKTable stand.
2018-08-10, 00:57 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-10 01:33 by Glyn Ruck.)
Not my finding I'm afraid. But the rest of my system is a soundstaging & imaging champ & that might be why. ARC/Maggie. I'm not a Keel fan. Too sterile.

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=36579