Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Full range Exaktbox for stereo speakers

Full range Exaktbox for stereo speakers
2018-08-10, 09:08
Full range Exaktbox for stereo speakers
Is the following possible?

I would like to use a Exakt only DS to temporarily drive some Linn 320A's (Which don't / can't be converted to Exakt). I would like to use an Exaktbox (Ideally the sub variant) to act as a full-range DAC between speakers and DS.

Is this possible (I'm quite happy if it is an unsupported hack)?

The final solution would be to replace the 320's with a Exakt speakers.

Rik

http://www.rikwatson.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-10, 09:31
RE: Full range Exaktbox for stereo speakers
Hi Rik

Maybe you should have a look to this page. https://exakt.design/

It could be possible, that you design your own full range filter.

Regards
Beat
Find all posts by this user
2018-08-10, 10:02
How will you bypass the Aktiv filters in the 320s?

‘troll
2018-08-10, 11:15
(2018-08-10 10:02)moomintroll Wrote:  How will you bypass the Aktiv filters in the 320s?

‘troll

As far as I understand, Rik wants to use the Exaktbox as Fullrange DAC, so he still needs the Active filter of the 320s.

Regards
2018-08-10, 11:24 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-10 12:02 by Briain.)
Hi

Yes, when Exakt Design was launched, I very seriously considered putting an Exaktbox Sub (set to 'flat' via a custom 'filter' - as in no filter - designed via the Exakt Design page) right behind each 350A, as I thought that might sound good by eliminating the 10 metres of cable lengths (i.e. the lengths currently between my KK and my 350A's). Had I a DS with Exakt Links, I likely would have tried it, but I have the added complexity of having a rear sub (currently fed via a miniDSP in IIR mode) which is at the opposite end of the room, so I'd need a third Exaktbox Sub (go get the required delay figures for the sub) and of course, I couldn't use Linn's existing Exakt FIR 345 profile for my own 345 (as Linn's one is linear phase) so I would have to design custom IIR filters to best track the phase shift of the 350A's existing lower bass analogue crossover (which is what I'm doing with the miniDSP for, but that can only apply up to 10 milliseconds, whereas the Exaktbox's for the main speakers would add 65 ms) though having seen Exakt Design (actually, I had a mini-course on it at Linn) I think that part would be quite easy to do. All in all, it would be a great fun project, but it would also be a significant body of work.

Intriguingly, you could also use Exakt Design to counter some of the anomalies in passive or analogue active speakers, so that idea also rather appealed to me, but without proper test facilities (and an anarchistic chamber Wink ) that aspect of it would be an exceedingly difficult and likely very time consuming project (I'd probably be tweaking it for decades)! Tongue

Of course, a couple of years back we heard the difference between a KDS and Katalyst KDS at Linn, so given the Exaktbox sub is a pre-Katalyst product, that was another reason why I didn't consider taking the idea any further. All that said, if (when) Linn do release a Katalyst Exaktbox sub, it could make the project quite attractive, but I suspect the price of three Klimax grade Exaktbox Sub units might put me off the idea.

Bri Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-08-10, 11:37
(2018-08-10 11:15)pantau Wrote:  
(2018-08-10 10:02)moomintroll Wrote:  How will you bypass the Aktiv filters in the 320s?

‘troll

As far as I understand, Rik wants to use the Exaktbox as Fullrange DAC, so he still needs the Active filter of the 320s.

Regards

Correct

2018-08-10, 14:07
(2018-08-10 11:37)Rik Wrote:  
(2018-08-10 11:15)pantau Wrote:  

‘troll

Regards

Correct

Ah, the subtly of that was lost on me...

‘troll
2018-08-10, 14:18
Cheers.

That looks like it may do what i want - this is a short term solution to allow me to use a Exakt only DS into a existing pair of Aktiv speakers which I can later replace with Exakt when funds / time permits. I can then sell off the Exaktbox and be left with a simple (& quality) solution.

Thanks again,

Rik

2018-08-10, 14:31 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-10 14:32 by phino.)
Can you not just use the spdif or toslink output into a more normal dac?

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
2018-08-10, 14:53 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-10 14:56 by Briain.)
(2018-08-10 14:31)phino Wrote:  Can you not just use the spdif or toslink output into a more normal dac?

Finding out which DAC's sound good enough to provide the sorts of sound quality that we are all now used to is rather a tricky business. When I decided to update my AV sound source from a MDSI, I did look about, but nobody who knows the sound of Linn stuff could tell me which one to get, and though some folks raved on about how good a certain DAC was, none of them had Linn systems against which to benchmark it. Over the years (well, decades) I've heard products that folks have raved on and on about and some of them have sounded absolutely rubbish, so I instead opted for an ADSM; it was the only safe route to take as at least we know the sound quality that Linn are always trying to achieve is something we are likely to be able to tap our feet to. Based on my experience, I can totally see why Rik is considering that route - at least he'll know it'll sound fabulous - as it is exactly the way I'd likely go, myself (and an Exaktbox should be something that's relatively easy to sell after his use for it expires).

Of course, back to my choice and not too long after I'd bought the ADSM, Linn released SO and thus I could apply SO to all my AV sources, so I was delighted that I'd gone down the ADSM road (and of course, it's not a Katalyst ADSM, so that's made the TV sound rather special). Smile

Bri

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)