Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Ekos se

Ekos se
2018-08-10, 15:19
Ekos se
I assume that sonically it is fine to run an Ekos se with Kore and Krystal. And this would represent a worthy upgrade from Akito 3b (same sub and cart).

Breaks the hierarchy I know but I’m not convinced by the benefits of the Keel over a Kore. Am I the only one?

Stu.

Akurate LP12 (plus Radikal and Urika 2) - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-10, 15:52
RE: Ekos se
(2018-08-10 15:19)Stu22 Wrote:  I assume that sonically it is fine to run an Ekos se with Kore and Krystal. And this would represent a worthy upgrade from Akito 3b (same sub and cart).

Breaks the hierarchy I know but I’m not convinced by the benefits of the Keel over a Kore. Am I the only one?

Stu.

Well, if you do it in that order, you’ll be set for the Keel upgrade later.

You know the hierarchy.

But it is your system. There’s nothing wrong with finding things out for yourself.

I went to the Kore and Cirkus directly from the original pre-Cirkus set up. It was a very nice upgrade. I ran it with an Ekos SE at one point. It worked.

I later built another deck with Keel and Cirkus.

I still have both in service.

The lesser deck is Mober Maxxon, Kore, Ittok. The higher deck is Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE.

They both sound great ... but a listener will enjoy the lesser deck more if they’re not comparing it directly to the higher deck.

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...
2018-08-10, 22:36
Stu22,

It is what I use and very happy I am with it too. A Keel will be next but I am I no rush. Linn sort of force this route on customers as the Akito is not fully Keel compatable.

Stu

LP12 (Kore, Radikal, Ekos se, Krystal, Urika1), Naim CDS3, 252/300 and SBLs.
2018-08-10, 23:09
(2018-08-10 22:36)Stuart Ashen Wrote:  Stu22,

It is what I use and very happy I am with it too. A Keel will be next but I am I no rush. Linn sort of force this route on customers as the Akito is not fully Keel compatable.

Stu

Thanks mate.

It’s a lot of cash so need to be able to hear the improvement.

2018-08-11, 03:58
Sonically the Keel was the biggest improvement for my deck. It was far more noticeable than the Radikal and Ekos SE. Night and day difference although I never owned the Kore. Their all good upgrades. I say if you want an Ekos SE and can swing the money, do it! It’s a good investment. Jeff

KDSM/1, KLP12, Exakt/k Dorik Stands, Exaktbox Sub, 212s v.1, 221, Audience AR6
2018-08-11, 20:25
(2018-08-11 03:58)Jeff R Wrote:  Sonically the Keel was the biggest improvement for my deck. It was far more noticeable than the Radikal and Ekos SE. Night and day difference although I never owned the Kore. Their all good upgrades. I say if you want an Ekos SE and can swing the money, do it! It’s a good investment. Jeff

Thanks Jeff. It’s certainly a big outlay.

Wonder if I could cut a deal from my chosen retailer if I did both at the same time :0)

2018-08-12, 00:31
Stu both at the same time would be a good thing for sure! I would approach them both as lifelong investments. 20+ years of sonic perfection... I had my Ittok that long and I can’t see how they will improve on the keel and Ekos SE designs. So I think I’ll have them to the grave... I’m not 50, yet. Jeff

KDSM/1, KLP12, Exakt/k Dorik Stands, Exaktbox Sub, 212s v.1, 221, Audience AR6
2018-08-12, 09:32
(2018-08-12 00:31)Jeff R Wrote:  Stu both at the same time would be a good thing for sure! I would approach them both as lifelong investments. 20+ years of sonic perfection... I had my Ittok that long and I can’t see how they will improve on the keel and Ekos SE designs. So I think I’ll have them to the grave... I’m not 50, yet. Jeff

I must age with you then mate. Looking likely that I will do both before the end of the year.

Thank you.

2018-08-13, 20:59
(2018-08-12 09:32)Stu22 Wrote:  
(2018-08-12 00:31)Jeff R Wrote:  Stu both at the same time would be a good thing for sure! I would approach them both as lifelong investments. 20+ years of sonic perfection... I had my Ittok that long and I can’t see how they will improve on the keel and Ekos SE designs. So I think I’ll have them to the grave... I’m not 50, yet. Jeff

I must age with you then mate. Looking likely that I will do both before the end of the year.

Thank you.

Try asking your dealer if they have an ex demo arm thats what I did

LP12: Radikal,Cirkus,Trampoline ,Kore, Ekos SE, Krystal, Urika, K/K1(D), KDS/1 (D).
Adam's Artist 6 Speakers Active
2018-08-14, 07:44
Tried that Starman but to no avail ....