Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Keltik Klimax Crossovers

Keltik Klimax Crossovers
2018-08-10, 15:55 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-11 03:24 by FlamesVoice.)
Keltik Klimax Crossovers
Hi All,

I just purchased a pair of Keltik Klimax Crossovers...should have them in a few weeks. How much of an improvement should I expect upgrading from early mono Aktiv cards inside of my four Klouts?

Also, would stacking them be an issue? I have too many silver and black boxes and not enough room!

Thanks,
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-10, 16:41
RE: Klimax Keltik Crossovers
(2018-08-10 15:55)FlamesVoice Wrote:  Hi All,

I just purchased a pair of Klimax Keltik Crossovers...should have them in a few weeks. How much of an improvement should I expect upgrading from early mono Aktiv cards inside of my four Klouts?

Also, would stacking them be an issue? I have too many silver and black boxes and not enough room!

Thanks,
Derek

Hi

I had the very early mono cards and at some point, Linn re-designed the bass ones (so I replaced them, retaining the original treble cards as these had not been re-designed) and it made a substantial difference, not only to the bass; everything sounded better. Interestingly, it also reduced the noise from the mid and treble units, so there must have been some form of interaction causing that noise (grounding, one suspects).

So, if you have very early cards, you should get an improvement from the elimination of that 'fault' alone, but of course, I would expect the Klimax crossovers to be a huge improvement over the internal cards (otherwise they'd not have built them) even if you were comparing them to the newer version of the internal cards. Not only does it mean they'll be getting a low noise power supply (which is bound to help) but I'd expect the design will be far less compromised (due to space not being an issue) and not having them sitting next to a big transformer can do no harm.

There are a few folks here using Klimax crossovers (PaulW being one; he has a good thread called Killer Keltiks that is worth a browse) so perhaps some of them started with internal cards and can thus give you an idea of what to expect, though I suspect it'd be better to just wait and see what you hear after plugging connecting them up; that should be the most fun part, so perhaps not best to spoil it by reading the rantings of other owners? Wink

As these Klimax crossovers contain switched mode power supplies (and of course, they are in well screened boxes) then I would expect zero interaction if they were stacked (though you might want to place thin felt disks under the feet as there are other threads where some have noted marks on the case after long term stacking Klimax boxes) and probably best to keep them well away from the Klouts (there's quite a strong magnetic field emitted - mostly sideways - from these big toroidal transformers).

Below shows a picture of same with the thicker lines indicate higher intensity:

[Image: 660px-Magnetic_Vector_Potential_Circular_Toroid.png]

Source of picture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toroidal_inductors_and_transformers

Bri

Incidentally, when I ran Klouts, I had two right next to each Keltik (stacked atop each other) and I found that even though most of the magnetic field is emitted to the side, they sounded better when separated by at least a couple of inches (50 mm, in new money) so I used big rubber bungs under the feet of the top one (the enhanced airflow also helped keep them a lot cooler).

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-08-11, 13:22
RE: Keltik Klimax Crossovers
I think there's a kit for wall mounting Klimax boxes. Not sure its a good idea for amps, but perhas crossovers will be ok as they probably don't produce much heat? Perhaps crossovers mounted on the wall just above and behind the other kit?

Main: N1ZH, AK/0/D; AEDSM; MeiCord AEBox/1; Silvers 2x A4200/1; K400 NSL Exakt dual-mono PMC Twenty.26; Twenty.C; Blacks AV5125 PMC Twenty.21
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT/Rega DAC; Arcam AVR100; 2x AV5125; Aktiv Ninkas, Trikan, SeKretan
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2018-08-11, 13:28
(2018-08-11 13:22)sunbeamgls Wrote:  I think there's a kit for wall mounting Klimax boxes. Not sure its a good idea for amps, but perhas crossovers will be ok as they probably don't produce much heat? Perhaps crossovers mounted on the wall just above and behind the other kit?
Probably not so good soundwise...

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-08-11, 15:07
(2018-08-11 13:28)Tendaberry Wrote:  
(2018-08-11 13:22)sunbeamgls Wrote:  I think there's a kit for wall mounting Klimax boxes. Not sure its a good idea for amps, but perhas crossovers will be ok as they probably don't produce much heat? Perhaps crossovers mounted on the wall just above and behind the other kit?
Probably not so good soundwise...

I guess that might depend upon what the wall is made of (as it would the amount of time they remained there, before they fell off the wall and smashed their way through your floorboards, of course)! Tongue

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-08-11, 20:42
I started running my current Keltiks, with 4 lk 100 with the cards mounted within. Then purchased Klouts with cards mounted within. I managed to find a Smps Tunebox and decanted all cards to it. Then recently moved to Klimax Xovers. All this has occurred over the last year. Each change has been so enjoyable.
The move to Klimax Xovers has probably been the most difficult but rewarding. All other changes I did not have to think about touching the actual speakers. The Klimax Xovers have required me to make sure placement, leveling, spikes, amplifiers, cabling are all correct, I guess as they let so much more through its so much more critical that setup is correct.
So I guess a word of warning, expect a bit of effort to maximise the performance.
A great test track is The Art Of Noise, The seduction of Claude Debussy, il pleure, it contains acoustic electronic, spoken word, operatic, deep bass and mega hidden detail.
I recommend this to get aspects of the setup right,
2018-08-14, 12:33 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-14 12:56 by Imseti.)
Keltik Klimax crossovers are fantastic. Enjoy them when you get them ! You were lucky to find a pair!

They are far better than the mono cards. Use Silvers and get yourself a couple of 4200/Ds for a fantastic sound.

Naim mains cables via dealer made Hydra style crimped wall strip ♫ ♫ - KDS/1/D - KK/1/D - Klimax Crossovers -
6 prs Silvers - 2 x 4200/D - Keltiks.
Klimax units and 4200s in gorgeous BLACK Smile
Yesterday, 12:16
(2018-08-11 20:42)Keltik_DSP Wrote:  A great test track is The Art Of Noise, The seduction of Claude Debussy, il pleure, it contains acoustic electronic, spoken word, operatic, deep bass and mega hidden detail.
A good album altogether from what I remember.