Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Back to back Katalyst comparison

Back to back Katalyst comparison
2018-08-10, 22:38
Back to back Katalyst comparison
My dealer organised an akurate katalyst night last night - wow - that is all!

I’m not sure quite I was expecting, but suffice to say, I need it in my life !

Everything sounded warmer, richer and more natural - the hifi gear just disappeared.

Thanks to Stephen and Guido from Linn and thanks the chaps at Peter Tyson for hosting.

Now, how much would a kidney be worth ?

Majik DSM - Exakt Akudorik’s (oak)
Synology DS415+ running MinimServer

Aspirations - Katalyst upgrade on the ‘doriks & AEDSM.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-10, 22:55
RE: Back to back Katalyst comparison
(2018-08-10 22:38)Geoff_UK Wrote:  My dealer organised an akurate katalyst night last night - wow - that is all!

Everything sounded warmer, richer and more natural - the hifi gear just disappeared.

Thanks to Stephen and Guido from Linn and thanks the chaps at Peter Tyson for hosting.

Not what I needed to hear Geoff ..... :0)

Akurate LP12 (plus Radikal and Urika 2) - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
2018-08-10, 23:01
(2018-08-10 22:55)Stu22 Wrote:  
(2018-08-10 22:38)Geoff_UK Wrote:  My dealer organised an akurate katalyst night last night - wow - that is all!

Sorry old chap !!

Majik DSM - Exakt Akudorik’s (oak)
Synology DS415+ running MinimServer

Aspirations - Katalyst upgrade on the ‘doriks & AEDSM.
2018-08-10, 23:04
(2018-08-10 23:01)Geoff_UK Wrote:  
(2018-08-10 22:55)Stu22 Wrote:  

Sorry old chap !!

Those Doriks getting the Kat treatment!?!

Akurate LP12 (plus Radikal and Urika 2) - Akurate EDSM - Akudorik Exakt
2018-08-11, 12:30 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-11 12:54 by Briain.)
Hi

Yes, I am a fan! I swapped my KDS/0 Renew for an ADS/0 and had it converted to an ADSM/3 for the bedroom system. I don't require a DSM in there, but I thought it made sense as it gives me the option to use other inputs, but it also provides me with a maintenance spare unit should my lounge ADSM ever need work. I was quite surprised at how good it sounded and even more surprised that DVC didn't offend me (I hated it with the previous generation products; that added resolution really does make a very significant difference). The Katalyst DVC is monumentally better than the pre-Katalyst DVC, so anyone using it as a variable volume source will be in for a real shock at just how much better it sounds than a pre-Katalyst DVC configured unit (not to mention the other huge sonic gains to be had from the Katalyst architecture, of course).

I then updated my lounge ADSM (which was used into a KK for TV sound) to an ADSM/3 and again, it was a very significant improvement. As the upstairs system (350s) is now used pretty much exclusively for TV sound (if you're used to having a picture with your sound, when it's not present, it's as though something is broken, so I've just got out of the habit of playing tunes other than late at night on the downstairs system and in fact, to save wasting power the KDS/1 has actually been unplugged for most of the last 18 months) I decided to try the ADSM/3 driving the 350As and sub DSP directly (balanced output to the 350A and unbalanced to the sub DSP) as it seemed a little pointless having a KK in the way (just wasting power). Last night was the first time I'd used it in that way and as soon as I switched in all on (which happened to be when the 6 PM news came on) it was immediately obvious that something was better. It was almost like I'd swapped out 3K Arrays with broken super-tweeters for ones with working super-tweeters; the 's' on female vocals was now audible (it was not bright; it was just very clear) so though the KK is amazing, the previous configuration (which involved 3 m balanced interconnects to the KK, too) was losing some of the high frequency content, so I've managed to squeeze everything into the cabinet that had the KDS+KK in it and reduce cable lengths (and interconnect count) too.

Later, I watched a few other programmes (one being a canned Keeping Faith episode; BBC Wales drama which has nothing to do with religion, by the way) and a NCIS New Orleans episode (both of these I know to have reasonable sound) and both sounded exceptionally good. Another thing I noted is that where before voices often sounded quite 'wide' (in terms of imaging), they're now more tightly defined in space. In fact, last night there were a few occasions where it really sounded more like a point source right between the speakers, so for me, it's a no-brainer to use the ADSM/3 directly driving things going forward, so that is how I plan to leave things.

One big downside is that the ADSM and Sky+ box looks nothing like as cool as the KDS and KK did in my custom made Klimax cabinet. The black ADSM is actually rather nice to look at, but the light reflection from the curved front of that cheap, gloss black plastic Sky+ box sitting below it is enough to make one chunder - it looks absolutely dreadful - so I'll urgently need to re-house it into something a lot, lot smarter looking. I wonder if Linn have any old ADS/0 boxes that I could scrounge? Wink

Actually, with the 'output' from a Sky box being quite low (WTR other sources) and with it being a big room (I almost need binoculars to see my 350A speakers) it means that for TV sound, I'm typically playing it with the volume set to somewhere between the very high 60s and low 70s, so it's a happy coincidence that DVC (even the previous incarnation of DVC would be okay(ish) in that zone) really is working in its optimal range, but as stated above, the new Katalyst DVC sounds fine at lower levels in the downstairs system (I was playing that at 50 last night and it sounded just great; the pre-Katalyst DVC sounded dire at these sorts of levels).

Looking forward to things like the next Jools Holland series and more live concerts on TV, as some of these do sound astonishingly good (considering they are just TV programme grade sound). Okay, I know that also having a picture fools the brain into making any TV sound system sound a lot better than it is, but when it also happens to be an analogue Klimax level system (with a big sub) then the overall effect is really rather marvellous!

Bri Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-08-13, 19:11
I did the same but was not that impressed. I think therefore that the price of the upgrade is to steep. I’m going to pass this time and stay with the adsm/1.
2018-08-13, 22:20
did the comparison of katalyst to former version or to DVC? what was it which you didnt like ... can you please elaborate more? your opinion is at least completely different to what I heard from others.
2018-08-14, 08:16
Thanks to the Sound Organisation York, I was able to borrow ADSM/Kat and compare with my own ADS/2 at home.

ADS/2 is now an ADS/Kat.

No comparison, still continues to amaze me with the subtlety and musicality of some pieces of music. I seriously suggest that if you cannot hear a great difference then check out the rest of your kit.

Donuk sunny downtown York.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user