Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Why no advertisements in media or Hi-Fi press?

Why no advertisements in media or Hi-Fi press?
2018-08-11, 10:07
Why no advertisements in media or Hi-Fi press?
Hi - not sure where to post this but its a general comment o giving it a try here.
It appears a bit odd, but at least in Scandinavia there appears to be virtually no review of Linn Equipment the last 3-4 years which is a bit odd. Also there is no advertisement - well´ll at least not as I have spotted in magazines.

This appears a bit odd, given the constant development that´s ongoing. Mainly HiFi+ and Stereoplay/Audio (German) cover the kit.

Most potential customers will not even know Linn exists, and those who are into active music listening (and also Hi-Fi hobby) may be unaware of the products - and developments. Which is a pitty.

Even the lower range as Majik DSM is a fantastic product, not only for convenience but in there musical performance and should appeal to quite a few people interested in music/Hi-Fi.

Thoughts on this?

LP12, Keel, Radikal, Ekos2, Kandid, Urika1, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktboks, 2xM6100, Akubarik
Secondary system: Linn LP12, Ittok LVII, Adikt/2, MDSM/2,
M109
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-11, 10:27
RE: Why no advertisements in media or Hi-Fi press?
Because over the years Linn have shown that it is not worth while. Likewise they don't bother with HiFi shows anymore.

You are right in saying "Most potential customers will not even know Linn exists". What I would say is that Potential customers are unlikely to be new to HiFi. Those who are interested will soon find out about Linn and similar high end products.

A lot of us started by listening to Radio Luxembourg on a Trannie. Slow progression over the years eventually got me to Linn. I suspect somewhat similar stories exist for others. Very few people I know bought Linn as their first HiFi.

Tonight when I chase the dragon; The water will change to cherry wine; And the silver will turn to gold; Time out of mind.
2018-08-11, 11:55
I knew of Linn in my adolescence, but purely because of the LP12. I had no real idea what else they did either then or since. But as a HiFi nerd of a sort back then, I knew enough to know that, when some 30-40 years later and I walked into my local hi-end hifi dealer and Linn was there with all this newfangled digital streaming stuff, I just wanted to know more. And here I am.
If you know, you know. It's like the old adage - if you need to know the price, you probably can't afford it. If you really know HiFi and are in the market for high-end quality, you'll know Linn.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-08-11, 12:32
Most, if not all of the hifi press is a total scam, most of the magazines tend to give good reviews to those companies that spend money on advertising with them.
2018-08-11, 14:16 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-11 14:19 by Catweazle.)
As we are living in the Digital age, advertising on paper is probably not the way to go. But as a matter of fact. Linn should raise brand awareness within the group of their tomorrow customers. I'd point to people in their university years, who have an interest in quality audio. The medium might be digital channels, or live events (think Wacken, Roskilde, etc).
In the end, marketing money needs to bring an ROI, and I'm sure that Linn Marketing is closely monitoring this. Maybe even PPC campaigns landing on this forum might be an idea, when we think outside the box. We are reflecting a certain life style here, aren't we?

PS: ... and Timster is right, the LP12 attracted us to Linn in *our* university years, like magnetism. There is nothing similar to the digital kids as yet.
2018-08-11, 16:10
(2018-08-11 14:16)Catweazle Wrote:  As we are living in the Digital age, advertising on paper is probably not the way to go. But as a matter of fact. Linn should raise brand awareness within the group of their tomorrow customers. I'd point to people in their university years, who have an interest in quality audio. The medium might be digital channels, or live events (think Wacken, Roskilde, etc).
In the end, marketing money needs to bring an ROI, and I'm sure that Linn Marketing is closely monitoring this. Maybe even PPC campaigns landing on this forum might be an idea, when we think outside the box. We are reflecting a certain life style here, aren't we?

PS: ... and Timster is right, the LP12 attracted us to Linn in *our* university years, like magnetism. There is nothing similar to the digital kids as yet.

Regarding the digital kids, Linn should develop some products that attract young people to the brand.

Most digital kids only exposure to quality sound components is about headphones, headphone amps and computer speakers and usually, that is through computer games or music on their smart phones.

I believe that product placement in movies and television shows would have far more impact than magazines.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2018-08-11, 16:59
Perhaps the "new exclusive product launch" next month is a Katalyst DAC headphone amp. For the kids.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-08-11, 17:12
(2018-08-11 16:59)timster (RadiatorCatHammock) Wrote:  Perhaps the "new exclusive product launch" next month is a Katalyst DAC headphone amp. For the kids.

One can only hope.

A Katalyst DAC headphone amp that has a built in streamer and can access internet radio might be a nice addition to the Linn lineup?

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2018-08-11, 17:21 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-11 17:30 by Glyn Ruck.)
I was well into my audio pursuit long before Linn existed. Linn seems to use brand trickle down as their marketing medium/strategy. It seems to work close to home. In many markets it has ceased to be a prominent brand & memories are of the LP12. Maybe they have decided that the company is "right sized" as it is.

I agree with Paul. Kids that grew up in the mp3 iPod world & never even experienced a Walkman much less a Nakamichi Dragon are clueless when it comes to good audio. (How many watts? SMH!)

Many high end companies are going to end up on life support if they don't find a way to attract millennials to decent sound. You can't depend on word of mouth & an aging, dying off population of elites (mostly in their own eyes).

In an Amazon world dealers are not the answer either. This forum is the closest thing they do to marketing in the social media era.
2018-08-11, 17:39
(2018-08-11 17:21)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  I was well into my audio pursuit long before Linn existed. Linn seems to use brand trickle down as their marketing medium/strategy. It seems to work close to home. In many markets it has ceased to be a prominent brand & memories are of the LP12. Maybe they have decided that the company is "right sized" as it is.

I agree with Paul. Kids that grew up in the mp3 iPod world & never even experienced a Walkman much less a Nakamichi Dragon are clueless when it comes to good audio. (How many watts? SMH!)

Many high end companies are going to end up on life support if they don't find a way to attract millennials to decent sound. You can't depend on word of mouth & an aging, dying off population of elites (mostly in their own eyes).

In an Amazon world dealers are not the answer either. This forum is the closest thing they do to marketing in the social media era.

Yeah, having people that have millions of viewers on Facebook or Twitter, raving about their new Linn Katalyst DAC Headphone Amp, LP-12 or other Linn products would be incredible advertising for Linn.

There is a lot of money out there, and people just need to know what it is that they don’t have, that they absolutely need to buy. Tongue

Exakt Surround 5.0: