Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / Ask a Question v / LP12 belt

LP12 belt
2018-08-11, 12:50
LP12 belt
Hi, buying a genuine LP12 belt soon.
Is there any info regarding fitting it the "correct" way round.

Fluted Lp12, Valhalla, Cirkus, Trampolin, Michell Techno A, Goldring 2100. Elliot Sounds Phono pre. Marantz cd6006. Moth passive pre-amp. 3 x LK100. Active Kabers, (Scanspeak D2008 tweeters). DIY Ikea coffee table rack.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-11, 13:23
RE: LP12 belt
(2018-08-11 12:50)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Hi, buying a genuine LP12 belt soon.
Is there any info regarding fitting it the "correct" way round.
I would ask my dealer when collecting it, if you don't want to listen and decide yourself.

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-08-11, 13:31 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-11 13:32 by john and Jake the dog.)
Hi, like swapping op-amps, I fear I would be constantly whipping the platter off in the quest for a better sound.
I'd rather be told to fit it one way or the other, if possible.

Fluted Lp12, Valhalla, Cirkus, Trampolin, Michell Techno A, Goldring 2100. Elliot Sounds Phono pre. Marantz cd6006. Moth passive pre-amp. 3 x LK100. Active Kabers, (Scanspeak D2008 tweeters). DIY Ikea coffee table rack.
2018-08-11, 14:22
(2018-08-11 13:31)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Hi, like swapping op-amps, I fear I would be constantly whipping the platter off in the quest for a better sound.

If you don't want to try it for yourself ask your dealer to demonstrate it for you and mark the direction of rotation on the belt. Peter Swain at Cymbiosis does this and I'm sure that other dealers will do so too.
2018-08-11, 15:12
(2018-08-11 14:22)ContinentaltypeR Wrote:  
(2018-08-11 13:31)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Hi, like swapping op-amps, I fear I would be constantly whipping the platter off in the quest for a better sound.

If you don't want to try it for yourself ask your dealer to demonstrate it for you and mark the direction of rotation on the belt. Peter Swain at Cymbiosis does this and I'm sure that other dealers will do so too.

Hi, generally don't visit dealers, I'll ask Peter if he could use his knowledge of LP12s and test drive it before he sends my order.

2018-08-11, 18:19
(2018-08-11 14:22)ContinentaltypeR Wrote:  If you don't want to try it for yourself ask your dealer to demonstrate it for you and mark the direction of rotation on the belt. Peter Swain at Cymbiosis does this and I'm sure that other dealers will do so too.

That is correct, Thomas O'Keefe at Overture Audio does this as well.

Sondek built by Thomas at Overture Audio; with Chris Harban Movingui plinth, Cirkus, Keel, Khan, Radikal(D), Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, and NOKTable stand.
2018-08-12, 04:38
If I remember correctly, one side is ground, hence smoother. That is the inside.

It may be hard to feel much difference. It has been suggested that your lips may be a better tool for judging relative smoothness than your fingers.

Once identified, some dealers will mark the smooth side with a ball point pen.

Some people think that they can hear top vs bottom as well. YMMV

It’s about the music, not the gear. Just listen - or not.
Alright ... maybe it does seem to be about the gear. Sigh ...
2018-08-12, 19:49 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-13 12:32 by Tony Tune-age.)
(2018-08-12 04:38)Peer Gynt Wrote:  If I remember correctly, one side is ground, hence smoother. That is the inside.

It may be hard to feel much difference. It has been suggested that your lips may be a better tool for judging relative smoothness than your fingers.

Your are correct about one side of the belt being smoother than the other side. And you are correct about being able to hear the difference between the top of the belt versus the bottom of the belt. It has been demonstrated to me by Thomas at Overture Audio.

Cheers

Sondek built by Thomas at Overture Audio; with Chris Harban Movingui plinth, Cirkus, Keel, Khan, Radikal(D), Urika, Ekos SE, Kandid, and NOKTable stand.
2018-08-12, 19:54
(2018-08-12 19:49)Tony Tune-age Wrote:  
(2018-08-12 04:38)Peer Gynt Wrote:  If I remember correctly, one side is ground, hence smoother. That is the inside.

Your are correct about one side of the belt being smoother than the other side. And you are correct about being able to hear the difference between the top of the belt versus the bottom of the belt. I has been demonstrated to me by Thomas at Overture Audio.

Cheers
By top and bottom I presume you mean direction of rotation as if there is a good inside turning the belt upside down will alter the direction.

2018-08-12, 20:19
(2018-08-12 19:54)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  
(2018-08-12 19:49)Tony Tune-age Wrote:  

Your are correct about one side of the belt being smoother than the other side. And you are correct about being able to hear the difference between the top of the belt versus the bottom of the belt. I has been demonstrated to me by Thomas at Overture Audio.

By top and bottom I presume you mean direction of rotation as if there is a good inside turning the belt upside down will alter the direction.

After listening to the inside and outside of the belt, we listened to the belt flipped up and flipped upside down. And which ever sounded better (top or bottom), that's what was used.

NOTE: There is a fast way to determine if the inside of the belt sounds better, or if the outside of the belt sounds better. Just tap a nail into a wall (preferably in your work area), then hang the belt from the nail. Place a small pencil mark at the bottom of where the belt is hanging. Then flip the belt inside out, and hang it from the nail again, then place a small pencil mark at the bottom of where the belt was hanging. The belt will be longer one way, than the other way. Use the longer way and not the short way. I hope this makes sense, it's easier to demonstrate than to verbally explain.