Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / £100 DAC beats Klimax Renew DS

£100 DAC beats Klimax Renew DS
2018-08-11, 19:43
Rolleyes £100 DAC beats Klimax Renew DS
OK as always that's not the whole story, but hear me out Smile

For the past couple of weeks I've been exploring streaming services with trial subscriptions to Spotify, premium, Tidal Hifi, Qobuz & Deezer.

I love the Spotify interface, breadth of the catalogue & its artist & track radio functions to find new music, and while their 320kpbs stream sounds OK, its not as good as hifi -16 / 44.1 streams the others offer.

I'm also loving the fact that Tidal offer some material in 24bit whereas you have to subscribe to Qobuz sublime+ to get that, & Deezer don't offer anything over CD res. OH... BUT YOU CAN'T DECODE 24 bit MQA FILES ON A DS :'(

Which brings me back to my original assertion - £100 DAC beats Klimax Renew DS

Firing up Tidal Desktop app on my laptop, which will decode MQA files, & outputting through my £100 dac at 24/96, this sounds better than the same file played at 16/44.1 through Kazoo to my KRDS Sad The other benefit of using the desktop app/dac set up is the ability to access Tidal's artist & track radio functions to find new music.

OK comparing like for like a 16/44.1 sounds better through the KRDS than the £100 DAC - phew!

I wish Linn would implement MQA decoding, & artist & track radio via Kazoo

Gidders
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-11, 19:47
RE: £100 DAC beats Klimax Renew DS
Dude MQA is going to be a hard sell here. Just use the search function and learn a little bit about this lossy DRM-Trojan.

Let the games begin.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Kaber - Chakra active cards - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime & a Kudos tuner.
2018-08-11, 19:57
You can do the first (software) decoding stage of MQA if you use Roon to the DS.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2018-08-11, 20:01
Have you tried streaming Tidal MQA albums direct to the DS rather than through your £100 DAC?
I sometimes play albums this way via Audirvana, using the UPnP input on the DS. This sends it direct to the DAC in the Linn.
Audirvana receives the MQA file and opens it part way, then the DS receives a 24 Bit WAV file from the Computer. It’ll only decode up to 24/96, but that’s pretty good and the music I’ve listened to this way has been excellent.
2018-08-11, 20:42
With respect, your post is nonsensical.
For example, you haven’t stated exactly WHICH £100 DAC you regard better than your KRDS.
And anyway, even if you did, there is no way in-a-million-years that a £100 DAC could sound better than a KRDS. That’s assuming it was listened to properly.
Don’t get me wrong. I like MQA - and I don’t own a Linn streamer. I chose my Lumin over Linn, for various reasons. At the time, it was because Lumin could stream DSD, and Linn couldn’t. Now, Lumin streamers can process MQA from Tidal, and Linn streamers can’t.
I personally think it’s misguided of Linn not to offer MQA decoding, but that’s why I’m happy with my Lumin.
BUT, however much I like the sound of MQA, it’s not possible that a £100 DAC playing MQA could sound better than a KRDS playing PCM.
Sorry, but mustn’t be listening properly...

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
2018-08-11, 22:37 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 00:49 by Gidders.)
(2018-08-11 20:42)kelly200269 Wrote:  Sorry, but mustn’t be listening properly...

Did I forget to mention that the system was paying in the front room while I was listening in the shed at the bottom of the garden Wink

(2018-08-11 20:42)kelly200269 Wrote:  BUT, however much I like the sound of MQA, it’s not possible that a £100 DAC playing MQA could sound better than a KRDS playing PCM.

Have you tried it?

On this journey, I've had a Bluesound Node 2 on demo which can decode Tidal MQA & that didn't sound as good as my KRDS playing 16/44.1 but then I suppose that's not possible either & I wasn't listening properly again

Gidders
2018-08-12, 08:50
You like what you like. If you are fortunate enough to prefer the £100 DAC then go for it, buy a Roon subscription that will give you MQA and the Artist etc info and spend the rest of the money on a good holiday. Win, win all round.

LP12 + Akurate stuff.
2018-08-12, 19:15 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 19:18 by Gidders.)
(2018-08-11 19:57)Antonmb Wrote:  You can do the first (software) decoding stage of MQA if you use Roon to the DS.

Thanks for that suggestion. I've installed the trial version of Roon & playing Tidal masters through my DS from Roon definitely sounds better than my £100 DAC Smile

I'm still getting my head round Roon - it seems to make its own decisions about artwork & other meta data & I ignore the meta data in my files. I've discovered than I can go in an edit that on an album by album basis - is there a global setting to prefer the file data?

The other thing compared to the Tidal app - I like using the track radio function to introduce me to new music asked on the selected seed track, where Roon seems to only play similar tracks from my library so I get nothing new Sad - is there a way to force Roon to ignore my library?

(2018-08-11 20:01)nhojsllih Wrote:  Have you tried streaming Tidal MQA albums direct to the DS rather than through your £100 DAC?
I sometimes play albums this way via Audirvana, using the UPnP input on the DS. This sends it direct to the DAC in the Linn.
Audirvana receives the MQA file and opens it part way, then the DS receives a 24 Bit WAV file from the Computer. It’ll only decode up to 24/96, but that’s pretty good and the music I’ve listened to this way has been excellent.

This seems to be what Roon does as suggested by antonmb above but I'll investigate Audirvana as well - thanks

Gidders
2018-08-12, 19:56 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 19:59 by Antonmb.)
(2018-08-12 19:15)Gidders Wrote:  I'm still getting my head round Roon - it seems to make its own decisions about artwork & other meta data & I ignore the meta data in my files. I've discovered than I can go in an edit that on an album by album basis - is there a global setting to prefer the file data?

Go to Roon Settings>Library>Import Settings. Here you can specify on a global level whether Roon uses your file metadata, images, etc., or it's own. I'm not aware of any way to change the sources for the radio play. You might try asking this on the Roon forum.

1) Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Rega RP10 w/Aphelion & Linn Uphorik; Shunyata Denali, ICs, SCs & PCs
2) Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, AR XA (refurbished), Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata PS8, Nordost ICs & PCs, Acoustic Zen SCs
2018-08-12, 20:17
(2018-08-12 19:56)Antonmb Wrote:  Go to Roon Settings>Library>Import Settings. Here you can specify on a global level whether Roon uses your file metadata, images, etc., or it's own. I'm not aware of any way to change the sources for the radio play. You might try asking this on the Roon forum.

Thanks Smile

Gidders