Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Is it time to join the 21st century and start streaming music?

Is it time to join the 21st century and start streaming music?
2018-08-12, 11:09
Is it time to join the 21st century and start streaming music?
I suspect this thread may have some serious repercussions for the health and welfare of my famously tight wallet Rolleyes

My second thread! In the first I was seeking replacement speakers advice and got some excellent responses, thanks to all those who gave their input. I was settled on a pair of either Katans or Ninkas to go with my early nineties Majik to which I was going to add a power amp and a CD player to go with my old Townshend deck. But having given it a bit more thought, I'd just be upgrading a system that I rarely use. My turntable has seen maybe a couple of spins this year and the CD player (actually an elderly DVD I got free about 20 years ago) has also hardly been exercised.

So, deep breath, is now the time for a total rethink of how I listen to my music? I've been looking into it and I must say many of the terms are alien to me. Also, I don't have a PC and mostly just use a tablet. We have a laptop but that is on it's last legs too!

I'm thinking either going basic such as a Kiko or perhaps a Majik DSM. Will I need to rip my CDs or will a service such as Tidal give me online access to all I need? Can I connect a NAS (should I need one) to my BT hub and not need a computer? My OH has Spotify on her iPhone and would likely want to use that with whatever system we get if that makes a difference. Is Tidal the best service to use or is there a better alternative and how much do they cost?

There seems to be some good secondhand buys out there, any drawbacks I should be aware of going this route? Is the kit reliable? I don't mind spending where I can see a benefit but on the other hand, it doesn't grow on trees you know Smile

My apologies at the seemingly random order of my questions but I'm really out of my comfort zone with this and don't know what I should be asking or what the potential issues might be. I think the bottom line is I want something of good build and sound quality with access to music without having to keep any CDs or records any more.

Thanks everybody!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-12, 11:47
RE: Is it time to join the 21st century and start streaming music?
Hi, I don't quite understand the appeal of streaming.
I presume a monthly subscription is involved, if so the CD cost you between £4 and £10 and you can play it whenever you want for no further outlay, but if you repeatedly stream that CD you are paying for it over and over again.

This may sound simplistic but as I stated at the start I don't understand the appeal of streaming.

Fluted Lp12, Valhalla, Cirkus, Trampolin, Michell Techno A, Goldring 2100. Elliot Sounds Phono pre. Marantz cd6006. Moth passive pre-amp. 3 x LK100. Active Kabers, (Scanspeak D2008 tweeters). DIY Ikea coffee table rack.
2018-08-12, 11:52
I would say: Streaming all the way!
I wouldn’t bother ripping your CDs. Instead, get yourself a subscription to Qobuz or Tidal, get a Majik DS and just enjoy the music!

LP12 (Valhalla & Cirkus), Ekos, Adikt, Lejonklou Gaio; Denon DCD-A100 SACD; Lumin A1 + L1
Akurate Kontrol/1, Majik 4100 x 2 (Dynamik), Linn Silvers, Aktiv Majik 140's (Upgraded Aluminium Bases), Majik 126
Headphone Rig: Chord Hugo TT, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1.2
2018-08-12, 12:07
Apart from all the regular software glitches and service breakdowns, for me there is something missing in the streaming/downloading experience compared to playing physical media such as disc or LP, it's ephemeral.

Fidelity UA4 alumnus. Exakt skeptik.
2018-08-12, 12:12 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 12:22 by Briain.)
Hi

I have thousands of albums ripped from CD (or bought and downloaded) on my NAS and have owned a DS since 2007. As soon as I'd moved to the DS, I realised how much easier it is to find music (rather than hunting for a misfiled CD in a huge rack of CDs) and after a social gathering, it meant no more tidying up the CDs in the morning! Smile

As stated on other threads, these days I pretty much use the system for TV sound and I get great enjoyment from doing same. I also have a fanless mini-PC (with Win 10 and Kodi on it) and use that as a home theatre PC, so again, it's great to have that hooked into the system.

So, yes, I am a fan of a NAS based music collection, but with the DSM having HDMI inputs, to me the value is in making it the centre of a home AV system as you'll get great sound from streaming music, but also good sound when watching TV programmes. In my case, I use a Sky+ box (and the sound is 'extracted' from the HDMI path through it) but even without an external media box, it is possible that your TV will have a Toslink or S/PDIF out that you can plug into a DSM. I know the latest ADSM and KDSM have HDMI 2 boards with the ARC feature (audio return channel), so that means an off-air programme should be able to feed sound back over an HDMI to the DSM, so that is yet another connection option (though I do not know which - if any - versions of the MDSM have that feature; easy to check from the Linn site, I'd expect).

So my vote is a yes to a DSM as it can be made to do a lot more than just streaming music from a NAS or Tidal, and it is also worth bearing in mind that you can apply Sound Optimisation to all the sources and thus help to address nasty room modes. To me, that is such a huge (though understated by Linn) issue that I wouldn't consider anything other than a DSM in my audio path.

As to the lack of a computer, I am a Linux (and iPad) user, but I decided a Windows PC was needed for some things (certain programs that I need are not available on other platforms) so I opted for a low power mini-PC (basically a laptop board in a metal box with a nice big heat sink) which cost me about £300 from Alibaba. These days, such things can also be bought via Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?url=search-al...pc+fanless). If you do go down the NAS route, it would be handy to have a PC for ripping and tagging CDs, so by being quiet enough to sit in a lounge, one of the fan-less ones could also double up as a media PC (home theatre PC); just a thought to ponder.

Bri

NB Last night I was at a concert with some friends and afterwards, we all ended up back here for a G&T. How times have changed; two tunes were played from the NAS, then Youtube videos (of bands I didn't have) were then requested, so the rest of the evening we were watching music videos on the TV (with sound through the Linn system, of course). It rather made my NAS and music streaming antics (not to mention myself) all feel a little bit 'last century', by comparison. Rolleyes On the plus side, they were expecting me to do the Youtube thing on a tablet or a laptop, so they were rather pleasantly surprised to see them full screen and hear them through a big sound system. Smile

AV System: Sky+, HTPC & Roku -> ADSM/3 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
Bedroom: ADSM/3 -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik sub
Sneaky DS -> Roomamp -> 104C (awaiting installation in kitchen; home-brew 'floor sub' yet to be designed)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2018-08-12, 12:26
(2018-08-12 11:47)john and Jake the dog Wrote:  Hi, I don't quite understand the appeal of streaming.
I presume a monthly subscription is involved, if so the CD cost you between £4 and £10 and you can play it whenever you want for no further outlay, but if you repeatedly stream that CD you are paying for it over and over again.

This may sound simplistic but as I stated at the start I don't understand the appeal of streaming.

You pay a monthly or annual flat fee, no matter how many title you listen too. It is typically about 10€ for mp3 or 20€ monthly for CD quality.
So for the price of 12-20 CDs you can listen one year to as many as you like.
Besides that, it gives you the option to really find out what album you like and want to buy. Compare 3 versions of Beethoven‘s Piano Concerto No. 5? No problem...Listen to long forgotten tracks...compare cover versions of a favorite track...
So there are many benefits for relatively small money.

The only ‚negative‘ is that you might ask yourself, why purchasing CDs (or downloads for that matter) at all, when you can listen to millions of tracks whenever you want?
And it takes some discipline and getting used to to listen to an album and not hop around, similar to using a cd compared to an LP but by the factor 1.000.000

BY
2018-08-12, 12:47
Streaming all the way. It’s simple & convinient and for the price of one CD per month you got the history of music at your fingertips. Once you go there there is no going back to the clumsyness of physical media. CDs - yuck!

Qobuz is great, now that they have the booklets available in their App even more so.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Kaber - Chakra active cards - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime & a Kudos tuner.
2018-08-12, 13:01
I like to have my music, so generally buy the CD and rip it. Have downloaded a number of files. As far as streaming is concerned, you are at the vagary of the service. My friend using Tidal has had some of his favorites deleted on their site. Plus they may not be around in the future. So I like the security of "owning" my music.

Now not using streaming my next comment may be incorrect. I like to convert to MP3 files and store on a USB stick to play in the Car. I don't believe that is possible with a streaming service (am I wrong?).

But as at home I prefer to use the LP12 I suppose I can be classed as a HiFi luddite. Tongue

Tonight when I chase the dragon; The water will change to cherry wine; And the silver will turn to gold; Time out of mind.
2018-08-12, 13:05
Stream stream stream, whether locally ripped CDs/downloaded files, or from a subscription service. I'd do the first, then trial Qobuz and then Tidal, and then decide if it's for you. TBH, I still buy downloads because they sound better.
If you want to discover new music (and who doesn't) either pay £20pm and get it streamed CD quality, or pay £10 and get it streamed MP3, or (better yet IMO), don't pay anything and stream 45 second MP3 samples from Qobuz and if you like it, then buy the download.

♫ ♫ Akurate EDSM | AEBox10 [on Custom Design iRAPs] | M6100+2100 | Majik 140 [on alu stands] | REL T5
♫ ♫ Rega RP1, [QNAP HS-251+, Jitterbug, MinimServer, Asset], Kazoo

AV: Marantz NR1506 | B&W 620(C), M1(S), REL T5 (LFE) | Fronts powered by Linn
Net: NetGear DGN2200 | GS108 | AQ Forest x3

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-08-12, 17:01
Thanks all for your replies, some good points to ponder. I do agree with the loss of having a physical record/cd in your paws, exactly why I still buy books and don't use a kindle. But I just think it would be nice to clear some space in my teeny titchy house of things that rarely every get used and remain only for sentimental at best or at worst laziness. I'm thinking what I might do is buy a very cheap streaming device that I can plug into my Majik, replace the speakers and give it a go before getting rid of all my albums and kit which I might regret.