Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Time For Linn To Develop A High End Soundbar For TV?

Time For Linn To Develop A High End Soundbar For TV?
2018-08-12, 17:17
Time For Linn To Develop A High End Soundbar For TV?
I have been reviewing statistics on sales and growth in the global audio segment, and it turns out that consumer electronics is a massive and growing market.

The Audio market is growing at a healthy pace, but now focused in different directions from audio 5-10 years ago

A significant sector in audio market growth is the growth of soundbars for TV’s, as the sound quality of many flatscreen TV’s is poor.

I suspect there is a huge market for people that want a very high quality sound bar that has superb sound, and want something well beyond the consumer electronics products sold at the big box stores.

I believe it is time for Linn to grab a share of that market, with higher end sound quality sound bars. There could be Magik, Akurate and Klimax Level products.

A Linn branded product(s) that has built-in Exakted speakers in an attractive TV Sound Bar, could be a potentially phenomenal sales vehicle for Linn, and would put Linn’s name on the lips of millions of consumers.

Your thoughts?

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-12, 17:53
RE: Time For Linn To Develop A High End Soundbar For TV?
Here are some interesting reports to back up my information on home audio:

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2...s-Inc.html

https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-trend...pment.html

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, AkuKat Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 203 on StillPoints, Cat8
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Denali, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
2018-08-12, 18:09 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 18:13 by Glyn Ruck.)
IMHO people need to be educated as to what good sound really is before you try to market a Soundbar at 10 times the price of a Yamaha offering. I'm not sure that Linn is ready to produce lifestyle products.

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=40281
2018-08-12, 18:15
Good idea for those without rig.
So Linn will create a bluetooth /hdmi soundbar.
I bet it is difficult to differentiate without significant investment.
A long Kiko / amp module with speakers mounted in the narrow slit left and right of the display??

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, KDSM/R+C3200+Akudorik/p, [LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2018-08-12, 18:40
With audio the problem has always been when you hold some of the high ground at the top of the High End, Audiophile pyramid if you trickle down into a general market offering you can seldom go back again. Brand dilution occurs that can never be recovered. IMHO of course.
2018-08-12, 18:48
A soundbar stands for I-gave-in-to-WAF and/or I-don't-care-as-long-it-makes-noise.

Audiophiles and TV-shoppers are two very different markets. Heck consumer audio and audiophiles are different markets. The former can be the entry-point to the latter, but the latter is small and shrinking.

For Linn going into the AV/Consumer Audio market carries quite a risk.The threat of tainting the Linn brand by associating yourself with brands like Samsung, Yamaha etc is too big.

Bang & Olufsen can pull this off as they offer designer TVs. Linn not so much.

SO/Exakt make sense for a compromised design like a soundbar. Still Linn stands for high-end stereo-music reproduction (yes there is Exakt-surround but thats an extra for the few and inbetween).

AV-codecs change all the time and that comes with licensing demands and extra-costs. Linn would need to hire an extra bunch of lawyers to handle these negotiations.

It venture to say a Linn soundbar is not going to happen. But let's see what September brings.

http://www.last.fm/user/mcgillroy

MDSM/2 - 6100/D - Kaber - Chakra active cards - Nubert 441w sub + Qobuz Sublime & a Kudos tuner.
2018-08-12, 18:55
(2018-08-12 18:48)mcgillroy Wrote:  A soundbar stands for I-gave-in-to-WAF and/or I-don't-care-as-long-it-makes-noise.

Audiophiles and TV-shoppers are two very different markets. Heck consumer audio and audiophiles are different markets. The former can be the entry-point to the latter, but the latter is small and shrinking.

For Linn going into the AV/Consumer Audio market carries quite a risk.The threat of tainting the Linn brand by associating yourself with brands like Samsung, Yamaha etc is too big.

SO/Exakt make sense for a compromised design like a soundbar. Still Linn stands for high-end stereo-music reproduction (yes there is Exakt-surround but thats an extra for the few and inbetween).

AV-codecs change all the time and that comes with licensing demands and extra-costs. Linn would need to hire an extra bunch of lawyers to handle these negotiations.

It venture to say a Linn soundbar is not going to happen. But let's see what September brings.

That's why the high end has generally walked away from the AV Processor market. They can't afford to develop the things. Nobody wants to sell them the technology anymore. Those developers have disappeared. They can't afford the endless updates required & the licensing fees etc. So it is left to the consumer electronics giants that have the scale.
2018-08-12, 19:48 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 19:49 by Paulssurround.)
(2018-08-12 18:09)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  IMHO people need to be educated as to what good sound really is before you try to market a Soundbar at 10 times the price of a Yamaha offering. I'm not sure that Linn is ready to produce lifestyle products.

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=40281

This is just too big a market to ignore, and if you have products that are clearly a class or two above what’s on the market, you will bring brand recognitions and sales to Linn.

As they say, follow the money. Tongue

I think Linn has to develop its lifestyle products for future growth. Smile

I am thinking of a sound bar that has exceptional sound quality for dialogue and music, through HDMI or Bluetooth connectivity. The AV codecs are already built into the TV, as far as I know.

If that product allows the consumer to get better enjoyment out of their TV experience while watching TV, streaming music from Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz, video games, You Tube videos and so on, all the better.

If that product can also stream music like Tidal and Qobuz, even better, and controlled by your iPad or smart phone, like Linn’s DS/DSM’s all the better.

Linn already has all the components for success in place, just not currently put into a box that looks like a sound bar.

I know for the audio purists, this is blasphemy, but we are in the minority when it come to what the market wants and buys.

It also doesn’t distract from the fact that many people have a TV and a HiFi audio components, and both a traditional HiFi system and higher end sound bar can exist in the same household. But the vast majority of the population are unlikely to buy a traditional HiFi system in the future, IMHO.

(2018-08-12 18:15)dol Wrote:  Good idea for those without rig.
So Linn will create a bluetooth /hdmi soundbar.
I bet it is difficult to differentiate without significant investment.
A long Kiko / amp module with speakers mounted in the narrow slit left and right of the display??

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines, as the Kiko in a new box, but shaped like a sound bar is a product that is ready to go. The only thing missing is an ability to add a subwoofer.

However, I can see much higher end versions at Majik, Akurate or Klimax level in the Linn lineup. Smile

(2018-08-12 18:55)Glyn Ruck Wrote:  
(2018-08-12 18:48)mcgillroy Wrote:  A soundbar stands for I-gave-in-to-WAF and/or I-don't-care-as-long-it-makes-noise.

That's why the high end has generally walked away from the AV Processor market. They can't afford to develop the things. Nobody wants to sell them the technology anymore. Those developers have disappeared. They can't afford the endless updates required & the licensing fees etc. So it is left to the consumer electronics giants that have the scale.

Thanks for your feedback.

Exakt Surround 5.0:
2018-08-12, 21:02
I thought they already did?

[Image: Musicbox.png]

stick yer telly on that Big Grin

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Musikbox

ADs/2 -> Klimax Exaktbox/1 -> Silvers -> 2xKCT/D -> K200 -> Ninka
2018-08-12, 22:28 (This post was last modified: 2018-08-12 22:42 by Glyn Ruck.)
As DavidHB and I have alluded to in the Adverprom thread & dol regarding differentiation. I don't think Linn would want the volume or the Brand dilution. They are too small and likely don't want/could handle that sort of growth.

I think there will always be a market for the more traditional high end audio although the packaging is likely to be different & some form of wireless a no brainer if it is transparent.