Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-08-16, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Getting Started / What to Buy v / Linn Kiko - a few questions

Linn Kiko - a few questions
2018-08-12, 21:02
Linn Kiko - a few questions
I‘m contemplating to purchase a small, compact stereo system for my wife, replacing her current system.

Ideally it should support Airplay, Bluetooth, WiFi and Streaming, active speaker, decent sound.

Now the Kiko might fit that bill with the exception of Bluetooth and Wifi, correct?

Never heard or checked out a Kiko until today. Is the Streamer functionality and handling the same as with my Klimax Exakt System? Meaning I can control it with Lumin, use Minimserver, Songcast, Qobuz if I wanted?

The handling must really be simple or my OH wants her current system back Big Grin

Can I play music from an iPhone or iPad RELIABLY to the device?
Still her B&O bluetooth headphones would not connect directly to the Kiko, correct?

Thanks guys for any insight.

BY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-08-12, 22:27
RE: Linn Kiko - a few questions
(2018-08-12 21:02)Baba Yaga Wrote:  I‘m contemplating to purchase a small, compact stereo system for my wife, replacing her current system.

Ideally it should support Airplay, Bluetooth, WiFi and Streaming, active speaker, decent sound.

Now the Kiko might fit that bill with the exception of Bluetooth and Wifi, correct?

Never heard or checked out a Kiko until today. Is the Streamer functionality and handling the same as with my Klimax Exakt System? Meaning I can control it with Lumin, use Minimserver, Songcast, Qobuz if I wanted?

The handling must really be simple or my OH wants her current system back Big Grin

Can I play music from an iPhone or iPad RELIABLY to the device?
Still her B&O bluetooth headphones would not connect directly to the Kiko, correct?

Thanks guys for any insight.

BY

In my case it is quite similar: My girl friend enjoyed my LINN system to such an extent that she started to look at ebay - and found a s/h Kiko; before that I never looked at a Kiko, so started to search here in the forum, finally she purchased the Kiko and I installed the system; a Kiko runs the same davaar software as all the other LINN DS systems, therefor what you can do with any LINN DS can be done with the Kiko (Airplay, SO, ... ). Do you have a LINN DS? I find streaming from iOS to a LINN DS sometimes a little cumbersome ...

The handling a the same as with Kinsky / Kazoo / LUMIN (I personally and also my girl friend prefer by a huge margin Roon, but that is another story).

The Kiko can be looked at as the first Exakt system of LINN.

Keep in mind that a Kilo is a rather "closed" system: Without tinkering you cannot hook a sub to the system, you cannot change the amplifier or source - steamer, DSP, amplifier all together in one small box. The loudspeaker cable have a limited length.

I like the sound of the Kiko really. When I sent my KDSM to be updated I was out of my stereo during Christmas, so we installed the Kiko in my living room. The small Kiko loudspeaker where sitting right on top of my Komri, okay, there where two octaves missing at the bottom end and some details and ... but the sound was really enjoyable!

KDSM/1, Twins (D), Katalyst Komris, Roon
2018-08-13, 08:47
Thank you.
In the meantime I came across the Dynaudio Xeo 2, looks very interesting and a better fit in every aspect…

BY
2018-08-13, 09:59
There are a number of battery or USB powered Bluetooth transmitters available for a relatively low cost which could be plugged into the headphone output of a Kiko to provide the Bluetooth functionality you are after and some of them also have receivers which could be plugged into the aux in if that was a desirable feature.

Best

Dan
2018-08-13, 10:06
(2018-08-13 09:59)DanielE Wrote:  There are a number of battery or USB powered Bluetooth transmitters available for a relatively low cost which could be plugged into the headphone output of a Kiko to provide the Bluetooth functionality you are after and some of them also have receivers which could be plugged into the aux in if that was a desirable feature.

Best

Dan

Thank you, Dan.
I thought about this but must admit that when I purchase something new these days, I would like everything included in the box, nice and tidy, and not additional Bluetooth and WiFi adapter attached (as today).
BY
2018-08-13, 15:00
I was extremely happy with Kiko on K320 stands while I was dynamiking my K320.
Listening to lower volumes were not as fun as full tilt, if Katalyst hits Kiko it will be magical.
The form factor has potential.

KDSM/2+K320A+K345A, KDSM/R+C3200+Akudorik/p, [LP12, Akito 2/B, Klyde+Lingo 2, Linto (not currently in use)]
2018-08-13, 17:14
Apart from his encomium of Roon (which is not the topic of discussion here), J think that fschmeis has it exactly right. Like so much Linn kit, the Kiko, compared with its rivals, is somewhat lacking in facilities, but provides surprisingly good sound. I am happy to listen to mine immediately after its much bigger brother in the living room, and that's probably not something I can say about all that many systems in the same price bracket.

In some ways, it is surprising that, in the 6 years since the Kiko was introduced, Linn have not made more of the Kiko's combination of digital crossover and dedicated, speakers in follow-on products. T guess that, with their corporate orientation, they'd regard the 5 series, rather any foray into the 'value' market segment, as the logical development. But then, I could be wrong, and this Autumn's big announcement will be a Kiko successor ... Smile

David

Main system: [LP12* > Lejonklou Gaio >][Roksan Kandy Mk III CD player >] KEDSM > Akurate Exaktbox 10/1 > Linn Silvers> A4200 x 2 and A2200 > K600 > Akubariks.
*LP12: 1987 fluted plinth; Cirkus; Lingo 4; Trampolin; Kore; Basik Plus arm; K5 cartridge, Paratrace stylus.

Second system: Kiko.
2018-08-13, 18:19
I haven‘t heard it yet so I can‘t comment on the sound quality. However absolute sound quality is not the ultimate goal in my case (or rather my wife’s case). It should have a small footprint and most of all be very, very convenient to use and very, very reliable.

After 6 years its time to update the device here and there, I think:

Add Bluetooth Aptx to allow direct streaming from an iPhone (w/o the hickups of Airplay) to begin with.
Next add Wifi in addition to the Ethernet plug.
These are the mandatory requirements.

Now, ideally get rid of the control unit and put the electronics into one speaker. Link the other speaker with an Ethernet cable (Exakt) or even better (dreaming here) get rid of the Ethernet cable as well and use a wireless connection between the speakers (as competitors already do).

In that case I were willing to pay the premium price Linn are asking for their Kiko compared to the competition.
were
BY
2018-08-14, 15:54
If you don't like the Kiko's specs, maybe you should take a look at the latest version of the KEF LS50 wireless?

My system: LP12/Keel/Radikal/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Akurate DSM Katalyst/ Kudos /2 x Majik 6100-D/Akubarik (externally active). Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L/ QNAP 219P II / Grado PS500e.
2018-08-14, 16:15
(2018-08-14 15:54)Tendaberry Wrote:  If you don't like the Kiko's specs, maybe you should take a look at the latest version of the KEF LS50 wireless?

Thank you, yes I did already and they come close, however they still need to be connected by an ethernet cable, don‘t support Qobuz and I‘m not sure what control ponts are supported.
BY