Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-04-21, 12:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Sneaky DS positioning in the product range

Sneaky DS positioning in the product range
2008-04-25, 11:09
Sneaky DS positioning in the product range
looking through the main website Im a little confused as to why the Sneaky has been designed as a sort of stand alone one off machine.

Or should I not be and is that what its supposed to be and we will have a Majik DS machine soon at a different price point..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2008-04-25, 12:21
RE: Sneaky DS positioning in the product range
Personally I view it as a drop-in replacement in a system previously based on a Classik music. Maybe I haven't given it enough respect Smile
Find all posts by this user
2008-04-25, 12:27
I think, as was previously mentioned in the other forum, its hard to give respect to something that looks like an x box.. Seriously though why has Linn lost the ability to produce classic design throughout the range anymore, we now seem to have a multitude of mismatched design styles..

Maybe Im living in the past but the LK design seemed to ooze a certain Linn-ness about itself.
2008-04-25, 12:52
I have no problem with the "LK" design, the "AV" design or the "Klimax" design...but I can't really see why they felt the need to introduce a fourth style!

Personally, I'd have liked to see this in the "Klimax" style, like the current Classik Movie (and of course, all the stuff I can't afford Big Grin )
2008-04-25, 12:59
It looks like crossed Klimax with Knekt products. If it is nearly as good, as the Majik CD it could be nice solution, for smaller rooms.
Or Linn is planing to make Sneaky Amp to pair it with DS?
2008-04-25, 17:18
I havent seen it but based apone the pictures i have seen i think it looks very very good.

I like is simplicity.

Somthing that personaly have puzzeled me is that my klimax solos blue light has a different shade of tone then the klimax kontrol.
The tact/ lyngdorf amps and cd transports i had before my klimax amps all had the same green light nuance wich further enhances the experince of lyngdorf component synagi, i liked that.
The sound havever was horrible ; )
2008-04-25, 18:28
I assume that Linn will bring out a Majik DS at a higher price than the Sneaky DS and that will match the rest of the Majik range of components in appearance.

I personally feel that a better name for the Sneaky DS would have been the 'Classik DS'.

I have not seen a Sneaky DS in the flesh but have been told by a friend that it looks fine. By all accounts the Sneaky DS performs better than the Akurate CD which costs 4 times as much ! So on that basis I would not be too worried about its looks.

All I know is that I have 5 friends who have Linn systems using Karik CD players which will probaly be buying a Sneaky DS. I have not been able to persuade them to buy a better CD player because:

They are too expensive and more importantly they will not be repairable in the future. If/when the Kariks go wrong they are unlikely to be repairable. I am advising them to sell the Kariks on ebay and invest in the DS.

Main: KEDSM, 350's with 4 Tundra Stereos and Akurate Exakt Box 10, 530 rears, Oppo 203, Sky Q.
Office: Renew DS2 and 520’s.
2008-04-25, 21:25
Have to agree a better name than sneaky might have helped but at least some indication as to what Linn are up to, tied into the way they present products needs some thought.

Its no good saying it looks a joke but sounds fantastic if that is the nail in the coffin (sorry for being so blunt but the shiraz is lovely this evening) ..

Other UK manufactures.. I won't mention naims but you know who I mean seem to have managed to upgrade components yet held onto a visual identity in the products..
2008-04-26, 07:47
Well maybe naim components have keept there basic look in all there components , is that a good thing or a bad thing ?.
Me personaly i think that naim gear looks horrorbly borring on the verge of konservatisem at its vorrst . so for me its a bad thing.

Regarding the name sneaky, i think it sounds Cool , why not ? if it sounds extremly good has both pre/and amplifire build in for the price asking i thing the name fits the component very good.
Having no display or big flashing screens or eny thing that would indicate what it can do further underlines that its is indeed a sneaky littel bastard.
Maybe its beacuse im not that old (29 summers) but i like the name and its looks is a great idea.
And yes i have just orderd one ; )
2008-04-26, 09:03 (This post was last modified: 2008-04-26 09:07 by AndrewR.)
Danny Wrote:Maybe Im living in the past but the LK design seemed to ooze a certain Linn-ness about itself.

Discussion on the LK design deserves a thread-in-itself (and probably a poll). However my feelings are that the LK boxes exuded quality individualism with its proportions, facia and controls, whereas the AVs look uninspired (although I admit they look better in the flesh than on photo). Whether the reasons for change were RoHS-or-not the AV style needs replacing when the opportunity arises.

Also what's with all the airholes in the AV products (even in the Akurate CD player and pre-amps!!!)? It's the kind of thing that brings me dust-paranoia.

Andrew Randle