Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-13, 13:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Experiences with Power cords

Experiences with Power cords
2010-02-26, 10:16 (This post was last modified: 2010-02-26 10:16 by yellowspider.)
Experiences with Power cords
Which power cords are you using? The standard (cheap) version?
And where is the hot lead in the plug connected to the (Majik) DS?

KDS/2, Acer 340 Home Server, Asset Upnp, Bubble DS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-02-26, 14:27
RE: Experiences with Power cords
(2010-02-26 10:16)yellowspider Wrote:  Which power cords are you using? The standard (cheap) version?
And where is the hot lead in the plug connected to the (Majik) DS?

Yellowspider

You risk starting another forum religious war.. ..

Check this thread for an intro to the whole power-cord spiel

Grüsse

Chris

Downstairs: KDSM Black + Solos/D Black + K600 + Ninkas. Upstairs: Classik + Mission 761is
2010-02-26, 15:33 (This post was last modified: 2010-02-26 16:06 by yellowspider.)
There are differences in using alternative power cords. Actually I´m using a vovox Power-cord. Would only be interesting to see, what other users are using.

More interesting for me is where the live wire in the plug to the DS is. In Germany you can switch it by turning around the wall plug.
With most components (also my Karik/Numerik) it´s the left side, or, adapted to the DS, the upper pin.

Regards

KDS/2, Acer 340 Home Server, Asset Upnp, Bubble DS
2010-02-26, 16:10
Just HMS (German made) wall sockets and Merlin Tarantula mains block and power-cords (UK made).
2010-02-26, 16:16 (This post was last modified: 2010-02-26 16:16 by Cremona.)
yes i did and it was a complete utter waste of money since my linn syste sounded best with the stock Linn cable.

I was comparing nordost walhalla and Shunyata Anaconda (2000usd a piece ) power cables ither it made the sound worse or no difference.

With Dynamik power , just forget about its a dead end
2010-02-26, 18:19
I haven’t try third party power cord with my ADS yet. I did use the Audience powerchord with my Classe int amp and found it makes the music quieter. So I tried the Audience powerchord on my Linn Ikemi and expecting the same improvement, but somehow it doesn’t make any difference comparing to the Linn power cable.

I am assuming the expensive third party powercord filters some power because it make the sound stage smaller and human voice little clear with my new Mcintosh int amp. This time the difference is huge and you have to be deaf not to hear it.
2010-02-26, 19:02
With other gear that dont use smps its a intirely different story .
2010-02-26, 20:37
I had a Naim Powerline on my Genki CDP and it made a massive improvement. I put the Powerline on my Majik DS and it made no difference what so ever, so the Powerline now feeds my LK140 (where it has improved it).

ReadyNAS Duo, Twonky 5.0.68, Majik DS/D, LK140, Kudos X3
2010-02-26, 20:59
I added a Transparent Powerbank 8 power conditioner to my system recently and it has notably reduced the noise floor. Even the wife noticed a difference (for me there is no better evidence than that :-))

I also use Transparent power cords on my CDP, 2 of my LK amps and my Kairn. It does sound a bit better with these cables but I think I spent too much on them considering that the Powerbank already does a good job fitering the noise out.

Why don't we all... just listen?
2010-02-26, 21:32
[quote='stunta' pid='61850' dateline='1267214393']
I added a Transparent Powerbank 8 power conditioner to my system recently and it has notably reduced the noise floor. Even the wife noticed a difference (for me there is no better evidence than that :-))

Differences are one thing...... better is another. Is she realy THAT good? Tongue Big Grin

Tone.

Ingots (Katalyst) and wood.