Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-14, 21:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Experiences with Power cords

Experiences with Power cords
2010-02-27, 11:18
RE: Experiences with Power cords
The cheap 8-way power block from Monster seems to work well enough (it improves tv picture too) and in the UK you can buy an even cheaper 6-way one (£40) from Maplin.
Although Linn recommend not using one with Dynamik, I still can’t decide whether the ADS sounds better or worse …

ADS2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-02-27, 11:56
I am now using Audusa Eupen cables (GNL M025/2.5) for the Klimax units over the stock Linn cables - the verdict is still out??

I do agree with Flying Sheep, in that shielding could possibly have some benefit over the mass of cables/interconnects at the back of a system degrading the signal.

I ran the stock Linn cables for a few weeks before switching to Audusa and find leaving the cables (in fact any tweak) for a few weeks to get used to the sound before switching back is best for comparison. i.e. if it sounds better is it better??, or is that just different
Find all posts by this user
2010-03-01, 10:53
The Naim standard mains leads @ £15 each, all lives/neutrals/earths from each component crimped together in a dealer made Hydra style config is IMO the best value upgrade you can do. The current Linn cables (the Baohings) are dull, uninvolving and far less open in comparison. The difference is in Dynamik terms. Astonishing. I would never have believed it until my dealer insisted I try it. I don't understand why it makes such a difference, but I'm not concerned with why - I just get on with enjoying what it can reveal in the music. I've not tried the older sought after Linn Tongyuan which is allegedly far superior to the Baohing.

Naim mains cables via dealer made Hydra style crimped wall strip ♫ ♫ - KDS/1/D - KK/1/D - Klimax Crossovers -
6 prs Silvers - 2 x 4200/D - Keltiks.
Klimax units and 4200s in gorgeous BLACK Smile
2010-03-01, 21:47
Back to the question regarding the live pin: it should be right if you look at the mother and the upper pin if you look at the father (Majik DS socket)

In my opinion with DS you waste your money with aftermarket powercords due to the switching power supply.
2010-03-03, 11:05
(2010-03-01 21:47)Defender Wrote:  Back to the question regarding the live pin: it should be right if you look at the mother and the upper pin if you look at the father (Majik DS socket)

In my opinion with DS you waste your money with aftermarket powercords due to the switching power supply.

Hi,

I have attached a quick sketch of the pin configuration for all our IEC inlets. I hope this helps.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Ian Wilson
Electronics Engineer
2010-03-03, 17:00
Great job. Thx.

KDS/2, Acer 340 Home Server, Asset Upnp, Bubble DS
2010-03-04, 18:21
forgot to mention that the socket at the Majik is moved 90° so the right pin at the mother and left pin at the father becomes the "upper" pin at the "father" Majik socket Wink

But a picture is sometimes more worth than 1000 word and less confusing Wink
2010-03-06, 00:57
(2010-03-03 11:05)ianw Wrote:  
(2010-03-01 21:47)Defender Wrote:  Back to the question regarding the live pin: it should be right if you look at the mother and the upper pin if you look at the father (Majik DS socket)

Hi,

I have attached a quick sketch of the pin configuration for all our IEC inlets. I hope this helps.

Hi Ianw, does it apply to all other brands?
My Klimax DS is attached to a non Linn System and I would like to know if I should plug all devices the same way.
Thanks

Linn Klimax DS/3 · Audio Note CDT4 + DAC 4.1 bal.· Clearaudio Innovation, SME V, AN Io1, AN m5 Phono preamp
Plinius Tautoro Pre + SA Reference Amp
Dynaudio Sapphire Spk + Velodyne Ultra Sub
Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold
Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation
Dedicated Power lines
2010-03-06, 16:14
@manelus

Thinking logically this should apply to all devices regardless of manufacturer - IMHO the key point is the live pin of the plug - which should be a (inter)national standard. if you follow that pin along the brown wire back down the power-lead it should lead back to the live pin on the "cold-device" male that Ian has documented.

I apologise if this posting is a little spoddy - but I have just made up 5 power-leads, so I have had time and reason to mull over these things Tongue Any no, when I plugged my new leads in, my devices did not go up in the expected puff of smoke Tongue

Grüsse

Chris

Downstairs: KDSM Black + Solos/D Black + K600 + Ninkas. Upstairs: Classik + Mission 761is
2010-03-06, 17:05
no smoke is good but how do they sound?

Linn sources & cables... after that, you lost me