Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-16, 06:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Experiences with Power cords

Experiences with Power cords
2010-03-12, 12:56
RE: Experiences with Power cords
(2010-02-26 10:16)yellowspider Wrote:  Which power cords are you using? The standard (cheap) version?
And where is the hot lead in the plug connected to the (Majik) DS?

I've been told by my local Linn dealer, Linn support and a Linn engineer who was in town last summer that Linn gear does not benefit from upgraded power cords. Apparenetly, all Linn gear is supplied with the same power cords including the Klimax line.

However, if you would like to "experiment" but don't what to pay a fortune, give these a try:

http://signalcable.com/power_cables.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2010-03-12, 15:00
I have a Linn CD12,
of the various power cords I tried (nordost valhalla, Crystal cable ultra, Kimber palladium, Kubala sosna emotion, synergistic research Hologram D) the best of the best is by far the acrolink power cable 7N-PC9100
http://www.highfidelity.pl/!ev/artykuly/...9/kts.html
2010-10-18, 19:12
I don't understand why most people hear no difference between powercords.
Try a diy solid core powercord (twisted) on the DS and you will be impressed by the difference.
2010-10-20, 02:01 (This post was last modified: 2014-02-23 16:35 by linnrd.)
⠃⠽⠑ ⠈⠇⠇

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2011-01-26, 14:23
Recently I tried Gutwire SP3.1 power cord on the ADS but found very slight difference over the stock cable. In fact, the original one sounded good to me.

AkurateDS (Dynamiked) / Qnap TS-210 / Mcintosh C2300 / Mcintosh MC452 / Verity Fidelio Encore
2015-10-21, 16:21
(2010-03-12 12:56)samurai7595 Wrote:  
(2010-02-26 10:16)yellowspider Wrote:  Which power cords are you using? The standard (cheap) version?
And where is the hot lead in the plug connected to the (Majik) DS?

I've been told by my local Linn dealer, Linn support and a Linn engineer who was in town last summer that Linn gear does not benefit from upgraded power cords. Apparenetly, all Linn gear is supplied with the same power cords including the Klimax line.

However, if you would like to "experiment" but don't what to pay a fortune, give these a try:

http://signalcable.com/power_cables.html

Anyone tried SignalCable power cords with Linn?
2015-10-28, 02:39
I use Transparent MM with Wattgate Gold on both end with my KLIMAX and Sneaky and I love it. The sound is more open and juicy.
2015-10-28, 12:55
I use a screened 1.5 mm Belden mains cable for source devices (like my KDS, KK and ADSM) and 2.5 mm Van Dame mains cable for power amplifiers (there are links in this post). I was surprised to find that there were differences to the sound when changing mains cables and found the Van Damme (and Wattgate IEC plugs) sounded different to the Belden (again with Wattgates) when used to feed my 350As.

It was not as clear cut as you'd think in that the Belden ones sounded very musical, but at high volume levels, the Van Damme cable made them sound very slightly smoother (so potentially less fatiguing if listening loud for an extended period). I actually had Paulssurround over when I compared them and we were both in agreement about the perceived differences.

All that said, these were small differences, so not something I'd get too worried about if I had one or the other cable feeding my 350As. The great thing about the Van Damme is that it was only £2.20 per metre, so unlike these so-called exotic mains cables branded as upmarket HiFi accessories, trying it out costs very little (typically there's a minimum order quantity of 10m, so about £22, but the excess can always be used to make up general purpose mains extensions, or the likes). Of course, at about £20 the Wattgates are a little pricey, but considering their quality (and the quality of the conductor terminations) and their ease of fitting, I think that they are well worth the money!

The Belden CYSD03.0050 cable that I use for source devices is a little trickier to obtain as nobody sells it in cut lengths, so the MOQ is a 50m drum (obtainable from RS). I used that as I already had it in stock (and because it is a nice cable) but I do think it sounds good (and folks I've supplied it to also think it sounds good) but sadly, the drum is now empty (and at about £70 plus tax, I'll not be buying another one).

Bri

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)
2015-10-28, 13:58
(2015-10-28 12:55)Briain Wrote:  The great thing about the Van Damme is that it was only £2.20 per metre, so unlike these so-called exotic mains cables branded as upmarket HiFi accessories, trying it out costs very little

Bri

Very true Bri,

it perhaps should also be said that some dealers do indeed let customers to try out a home dem of cables thus allowing a no cost option if you decide not to purchase.

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands
2015-10-28, 15:40 (This post was last modified: 2015-10-28 15:41 by Briain.)
(2015-10-28 13:58)Wenge1 Wrote:  
(2015-10-28 12:55)Briain Wrote:  The great thing about the Van Damme is that it was only £2.20 per metre, so unlike these so-called exotic mains cables branded as upmarket HiFi accessories, trying it out costs very little

Bri

Very true Bri,

it perhaps should also be said that some dealers do indeed let customers to try out a home dem of cables thus allowing a no cost option if you decide not to purchase.

That's true and I'd sure want to try an expensive cable before buying! My view is that it's great fun buying the bits and trying a few combinations for yourself. At the end of the day, it's only a short mains cable (typically clagged onto the middle of a 2.5 mm ring main) so I can't see how it can make that much difference.

I run a bespoke system with a separate radial feed for each unit (and with 'star' earth cables of substantial diameter back to the dedicated consumer unit, then a 16 mm earth cable back to the building earth bar, shown in the second post), so 'the last yard' of mains cable is the 'flimsiest' part of the entire system. I can certainly say that though the differences [between cables] are noticeable, they are quite small. Whether the differences might be smaller (or larger) for folks using a standard ring main system, I can't say.

It's a fascinating subject as there are potentially a few factors to consider (ground impedance between products with unbalanced audio interconnections and that most 'earth' connections are nowhere near 'earth, but indeed the middle of a big antenna formed by the ring main system) and thus I would imagine what's the best solution in some locations might not necessarily be the best solution in other locations (same uncertainty applies - in fact, very much more so - to after market 'noise removal' solutions; what works well in one location can actually degrade the sound quality in another location, simply by it being the incorrect solution for the problems at that location).

Bri Smile

KDS/1 (music) + ADSM (AV) -> KK/1 -> 350A + miniDSP time & phase aligned 345 rear sub
KDS Renew -> Homebrew fixed attenuator -> 2250/D -> 212 and Sizmik front sub (bedroom)
MDSI -> 104C (awaiting installation in my kitchen)
MDSI -> Shahinian Arc (installed at my mum's house)